Experienced aquarists please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few questions for my aquarium.

1.) my GH is pretty much 0, while my KH is relatively middle/high. Is it essential I rise my GH? And how do I do so?

2.) my PH is about 7.8-8.0. I use activated carbon and read that is removed carbonic acid in the water. My tap water has a perfect 7.2 PH. Should I just use my filters without activated carbon?

3.) These water parameters have been consistent, GH of 0, KH high, PH slightly high. Is this what is making it take to long for my tank to cycle? It has been almost 2.5 months now and I still have 0.5 PPM ammonia. (API master test kit)

Any insight is so appreciated. I really need some help here. Thanks

Tank Keeping

I have a few questions for my aquarium.

1.) my GH is pretty much 0, while my KH is relatively middle/high. Is it essential I rise my GH? And how do I do so?

2.) my PH is about 7.8-8.0. I use activated carbon and read that is removed carbonic acid in the water. My tap water has a perfect 7.2 PH. Should I just use my filters without activated carbon?

3.) These water parameters have been consistent, GH of 0, KH high, PH slightly high. Is this what is making it take to long for my tank to cycle? It has been almost 2.5 months now and I still have 0.5 PPM ammonia. (API master test kit)

Any insight is so appreciated. I really need some help here. Thanks

Hello Jar...

If your goal is to keep fish from the local pet store, you don't need to worry about the pH, hardness, acidity or any other chemistry issue. Knowing these kinds of things isn't necessary for keeping a healthy tank. You begin with reading up on the "Nitrogen Cycle". Become very familiar with this subject and then, you'll be ready to move forward.

B

Unless you are keeping some delicate species of caridina shrimps you don't need to worry about any of these numbers. Do not try to chase numbers. Do not add any chemicals. Keep using activated carbon as it helps in so many things really like taking out the tannins if any. Keep water clean and odorless.

Back
Top Bottom