Experts! Walk me through this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I bought two new 20 gals yesterday. One was a CL buy and one I picked up at Petco's $1/gallon sale. One is for me and and one for my son for his birthday.

On my current tank (37 gal) I run an Aquaclear 50 and a Aquatech 15; the 15 being a ready backup filter for a small QT. Petsmart has their filters on sale, so I picked up an Aquaclear 70 which is what I had originally intended to buy when I had set up the 37gal (they were out of stock at the time). The craigslist tank is going to my son and came with a HOB Whisper filter which I was thinking of stuffing with some filter media (it's pretty wide) instead of buying cartridges for it and/or just putting the already in use filter cartridge from the Aquatech 15 in there. My new 20 gallon currently is full of water with a heater running..I did put a little bit of gravel from the 37 in there when I landscaped last night.

Now talk me through switching filters for the two new tanks. What is the best way to go about doing it? I put the AC70 together last night and stuck it on my 37 gal. The end plan would be to put the Aquaclear 70 on the 37gal and the AC50 on the 20 gallon. (Not sure if I'll keep the Aquatech running after all of this or not.) I know when switching filters, it's best to just take the old media and put it into the new filter to prevent cycling, but in this case I need good bacteria in both Aquaclears. My first thought was to run them tandem on the 37 gal for a while (not sure how long?) and then switch the AC50 over to the 20 gal but was thinking it would most likely be better to just split the media from the AC50- put some in the AC70 and then switch the AC50 over to the 20 gallon right away.

I was running a bag of purigen (to clear tannins from my driftwood), a bag of bio max, and a sponge in the AC50. Last night when I set the AC70 up, I took the bag of purigen out of the AC50(replaced it with another sponge) and put it in the AC70 along with a new sponge and a new bag of biomax. The AC70 is large enough that there is still room for more media. If I took the old sponge out of the AC50 and added it in the AC70, would the bio max in the AC50 hold enough bacteria to keep my new 20 gal from completely cycling and will adding the old sponge to the AC70 and keeping the Aquatech running for a little while longer (As I said, I would like to use it to help cycle my son's new tank) keep the 37gal from taking a nose dive..or do I need to think up a new plan?

It all depends on the bioload that will be in both tanks. Are you going to be taking any fish out of the 37gal? Or will it remain the same stock level?

The safer way to go is to let both filters run on the same tank for at least 2 weeks, because unless the new filter spits out some kind of chemical - there's pretty much 0% chance of a cycle.

Splitting the media can work - but you're looking at a higher chance of a minicycle on the 37gal.

That was my original plan but after reading info online the last two days, the general consenses seemed to be that running 2 filters just means that the bacteria will split between the 2 filters, or in this case- three since I have the Aquatech on there as well.

I was planning on taking some of the fish from my 37 gal out, just hadn't decided which. Most likely my Pristellas or Black neons.

Here's what I think I'd do:

1. Run your established Aquatech on your son's tank in tandem with the Whisper.

2. Leave the AC50 on your 37g.

3. Put the AC70 on your 20 and do a fishless cycle. Throw the BioMax bag from the AC50 in the AC70 to speed things up.

4. Switch the AC50 to the 20g and the AC70 to the 37g after the fishless cycle.

If all goes well, you can have the AC70 cycled in about a week if you add the established BioMax.

After much debate, I ended up leaving the AC70 and the Aquatech15 on my 37 gal with the cycled sponge from my AC50 in the AC70. Put the AC50 on my new 20 gal with the cycled BioMax and a new sponge. Took the Pristella from my 37 gal and added them to the 20gal. The last three mornings I have tested my water parameters and gotten this:

37 gallon-
0ppm Ammonia
0ppm NitrItes

20gallon-
.25ppm Ammonia
.25ppm NitrItes

I've done a PWC on the 20 gal every morning after testing to keep the ammonia/nitrite from getting any higher, but since the 37 gallon seems to be handling the switch, I'm think of taking the Aquatech off today and putting it on the 20 gal for a few days. Thoughts?

You could try moving the Aquatech. It might just be easier to do a few PWCs and hope for a quick mini-cycle.

Ok- thanks for the replys. Just wanted to make sure I don't make any avoidable mistakes. I'm in no hurry to get fish for my son's 20 gal (where the Aquatech is headed next)...I want to make sure I get these two tanks taken care of first.

1 week since the switch. 37 gal still holding strong. PWC's 1x per day every day for the 20 gal. Added some Safestart mid week and today had 0ppm Ammonia, and 0-.25ppm Nitrites. Not quite 0 Nitrites, but def not the usual .25ppm. Anxious to see what I get tomorrow but hoping for matching 0ppm Ammonia/Nitrites. A 1 week cycle would be very nice indeed!

Back
Top Bottom