Expired API water test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone used an expired test kit before? I'm asking because I ran out of strips and have the API test kit laying around. The most expired bottle expired 01/2019 and the least is 03/2019.

I have never used an expired one and wouldn't trust it . Ask API and see what they say . There may be a grace period beyond the expy date . Get a new one . You should be using that instead of strips anyway .

The expiration dates are pretty recent, so I wouldn't worry about it. If the kit was a year old, I'd toss it, but it's probably ok. If you have some distilled water you can test it.

Has anyone used an expired test kit before? I'm asking because I ran out of strips and have the API test kit laying around. The most expired bottle expired 01/2019 and the least is 03/2019.

In my experience, the Ph test chemical works for a long time even after expiration
The Ammonia and Nitrite test chemicals will last slightly longer than expiration.
The nitrate test chemical is what goes bad the quickest. I've had many of them give false readings even before expiration.
I would suggest taking your readings with your chemicals then have your LFS test your water to see what they get to compare. Then you will have a better idea whether your chemicals are working correctly.
That said, I would not compare the liquid tests to the strips. Strips have a bad reputation of being inaccurate. I would suggest using the liquid API tests.
Hope this helps. (y)

Can only really comment on nitrate test but same experience that it seemed to be under-reading slightly to a new test (bought two new test kits to double check but who knows lol).

Back
Top Bottom