Expired Northfin Kelp Wafers -- OK to use, or was I misled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a bag of Northfin's Kelp Wafers where the store owner assured me even though "March 2020" was printed on the bag as the expiry, they were "still good."

That didn't make sense to me, since those dates are on there for a reason from Northfin -- and while it may not be a perfect parallel, I wouldn't eat steak months expired if it wasn't frozen.

Beyond that, every other site (Flip Aquatics, Big Al's, Super Cichlids, etc.) all sell fresh stock for the same exact price I paid for old/expired stock.

Wanna make sure I'm doing what's best for my cats/plecos etc., thanks!

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 32
These are dried wafers. If the bag was sealed, they are still good. Dried foods last for a very long time if no moisture gets to them. Expiration dates are sometimes put there to get you to buy another bag.

These are dried wafers. If the bag was sealed, they are still good. Dried foods last for a very long time if no moisture gets to them. Expiration dates are sometimes put there to get you to buy another bag.
Even still. Wouldnt you take them back and get a bag that's not expired?

I may *feed* my fish expired food, and have when the 2kg bag wasn't done before the expiry date but I would not *buy* expired food.
One of the local club members is the area rep for North Fin and he says the food *should* be fine, but the expiry dates are there to show when it *should* be fed by, after that the food will degrade as it is exposed to air. I'd return it unless you will be done it within a short time period.

Back
Top Bottom