EXTREMELY Aggressive Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakerfan824

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have had a 55 community tank set up for almost a year now, and 5 gourami (2 pearl and 3 dwarf) have lived peacefully together for the entire time.

Yesterday I was at a local pet shop and there was one lonely moonlight gourami in a tank with some other fish (don't remember what kind, they weren't gourami tho). So I decided to adopt it and give it a good home :)

Anyways I got it home and put it into my tank. It just sat in the corner for about an hour, probably stressed out about the move. Then it started attacking my pearls!! I have had several gourami before and I have never seen one be so vicious. I thought maybe they were just establishing a pecking order but when I saw him start ripping scales off I took him out and put him in his own 20 gallon that I have cycled and ready for situations like this!!

Has anyone else had experiences with aggressive gourami? Do you think it will maybe calm down after getting adjusted to a new tank? I've just never seen a gourami of any variety be so aggressive, and I'm not sure what to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My blue gourami chases new tank mates for about two days after they're introduced, and then gets used to them and then she's totally peaceful. It might be different with multiple gouramis though. I only have the one gourami who chases her tank mates of other species.

I would be alright with just chasing, but this one is attacking and fighting. I really don't want anybody dying here lol. Maybe I'll put it back in in a few days and watch and see what happens again

Yeah my gourami will nip at their tails. She took a hunk out of my Molly's tail but then got used to her and left her alone and the tail has healed back nicely. But I'm sure it depends on the personality of the fish.
Wish you the best of luck!

I have read to always add Gourami last to a tank. I did this with my male. I've since added another male and they fuss at eachother regularly, but never cause damage. So, I'm moving one to his own 10 gallon soon. Very territorial towards other male gourami. Its recommended 1male to 3 females

Males have a pointed dorsal fins and females are more rounded is what I've been told

Just saw this, yes Sharkbait22 is correct. Plus females are pretty hard to find at lfs. But if you think you might have one, look at coloring too. Males are brighter and usually prettier than females.

That must be one of the pearls? I'd say female, but comparing the two might help. I've never kept pearls myself. Maybe someone else will chime in who knows more or breeds them.

I would say it is a female. The males dorsal fins go much farther towards the end of the tail. My dwarf blues tails were level with their tails.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410713457.559722.jpg

The tail of my opaline for comparison. Much more pointed. I'm no expert but I'd say its a male. The fish are about 3 inches, do you think they are old enough to breed?

I would return the aggressive fish. They will probably work with you and give you credit

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought 4 Pearls and they were young not babies but not grown up. We tried to pick out 1 male and 3 females.

Within a month the one, dominant male had killed the smallest female and then started after the other 2. It was my first experience with these fish and I had been told they would be happy all together be numerous people.

Not the case. The dominant male pestered the other 2 and I took him out and gave him to a friend of mine who had a 55G with peaceful but larger semi aggressive fish and he behaved himself perfectly. No one to bully.

The remaining 2 were happy but a couple days later I was trying to move something in the tank the female was a little jumpy and dove straight down and knocked herself out in the floor of the aquarium and did not recover.

So about 3 years later I still have my last one a peaceful giant Pearl male. He has lived very peacefully with other Gourami varieties, including Blue and Opaline and Bettas, which they are supposed to not get along with that well.

Some fish are different. I wouldn't risk the other fish, I would rehome or trade him back in.

here is a pic of the Pearl and see the fringe on the lower fin?
60074-albums11380-picture65582.jpg

Here is a pic of a male on the lower side with the orange-ish chest and a female body shape is really different
60074-albums9317-picture65753.jpg

Closer pic of the male
60074-albums9317-picture39623.jpg

Very beautiful fish! Yeah, I think in will try and trade away the aggressive one. It's just strange because the female is aggressive toward the male. But whatever. I don't need that kinda shenanigans in my community tank :p

I was originally told to do one male (or female) and then 3-5 with 1 male and the rest females, but it just boils down to temperament/personality.

That male Pearl is one of my favorite fish, he is sweet and calm and always comes over to say hello. He is very beautiful. I highly recommend them (but only the nice ones, lol).

I have a blue blue gourami, who chases another gourami in the same tank. However I also have mollies in there and he doesn't mess with them. Go fig

Back
Top Bottom