Fading Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My daughter has some tiger barbs who's color has slowly faded away. The colors and black stripes are not nearly as vivid as they once were.

All water parameters look really good, what would cause this??

What do you feed? I'm no expert but could be lack of nutrients in the food?

My daughter has some tiger barbs who's color has slowly faded away. The colors and black stripes are not nearly as vivid as they once were.

All water parameters look really good, what would cause this??

There colors may fade as they get older. The same thing happens to my black skirt tetras. The older ones "skirt" is now light gray instead of vivid black. Are all the tiger barbs colors fading? How many do you have?

There colors may fade as they get older. The same thing happens to my black skirt tetras. The older ones "skirt" is now light gray instead of vivid black. Are all the tiger barbs colors fading? How many do you have?

Yeah, its kinda strange, they are all fading and she has only had them for 3 months. She has a total of 7.

Yeah, its kinda strange, they are all fading and she has only had them for 3 months. She has a total of 7.

What kind of light do you have? Can you get a pic of the tank and the fish?
Hmmm, 3 months is not long at all. Unless the lfs kept all 7 for at least a year which is highly unlikely.

If light is too bright for the fish, they can be stressed. And stress will cause color fading. Are there any caves, plants, or shady hiding spots?

Yes, I've provided plenty of cover for them, have about 12 plants and 3 rock type formations. I am wondering if I am running the light too much. I will usually have the light on for around 10 hours a day to help the plants grow (which the plants have done great). Maybe I should cut back to 6 hours?

i hope this isn't your situation but if all the parameters are correct, lots of hiding space, sufficient nutrients provide, then you might have fishes that are slowly passing away, either due to age or unnoticeable disease. you said you have only had them for a few months, so i would rule out the first possibility. i have been through and seen it before, the parameters are spot on but my fish started to "fade" away and before long, they passed away.

i hope this isn't your situation but if all the parameters are correct, lots of hiding space, sufficient nutrients provide, then you might have fishes that are slowly passing away, either due to age or unnoticeable disease. you said you have only had them for a few months, so i would rule out the first possibility. i have been through and seen it before, the parameters are spot on but my fish started to "fade" away and before long, they passed away.

I hope that's not my situation too! Other than fading colors, they look healthy. No signs of ich or fin rot, they seem to be eating fine and they look happy swimming around, some of them even play around a bit with the bubbler.

Yes, I've provided plenty of cover for them, have about 12 plants and 3 rock type formations. I am wondering if I am running the light too much. I will usually have the light on for around 10 hours a day to help the plants grow (which the plants have done great). Maybe I should cut back to 6 hours?

No, 10 hours is good unless algae is growing. I'm really stumped on why the fish are fading ( unless huizen's invisible disease symptom is right ). I hope your fish survive....... ?

Back
Top Bottom