Fading Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 Boesemani Rainbows in my 55 gal long. 2 males and 2 females. I've had them for about 8 months, and the largest male is 3 to 4 inches. Here's the thing. When the lights first come on, their colors are amazing. Deep orange tails and dark purple (almost black) heads. Throughout the day their colors fade until their heads are silver and the orange in their tails is very pale. Is this normal? They seem very healthy, and they have always done this.

All of my rainbows fade a little after the lights come on, or if they get stressed by something. They don't fade as much as you're describing, what are your water parameters, and what foods are you feeding? I've found my Boesemanis and Red Irians tend to not be as brightly colored as it nears time for water changes.
Early on in keeping them, I fed them tetra flakes, and another cheaper brand (can't remember what it was). The guy at my lfs suggested Omega One Flakes and New Life Spectrum Pellets. They are significantly brighter since changing to those foods.
Hope this helps.

The ph in our water tends to run high. 8+. It's great for my cichlid tank, but hasn't seemed to bother the fish in my other tanks. I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks, and my nitrates seem to stay between 20 to 40. I have an 8+ inch common pleco in the tank who will be rehomed soon. I'm hoping the nitrates will go down then. I currently feed tetra flakes, shrimp pellets and algae tabs once daily with the occasional treat of blood worms. I also have 6 angels, 3 dennison barbs and a few bronze cories in that tank. I'll definitely look at changing their food.

The ph in our water tends to run high. 8+. It's great for my cichlid tank, but hasn't seemed to bother the fish in my other tanks. I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks, and my nitrates seem to stay between 20 to 40. I have an 8+ inch common pleco in the tank who will be rehomed soon. I'm hoping the nitrates will go down then. I currently feed tetra flakes, shrimp pellets and algae tabs once daily with the occasional treat of blood worms. I also have 6 angels, 3 dennison barbs and a few bronze cories in that tank. I'll definitely look at changing their food.
My pH runs 8-8.2 as well. Nitrates aren't too bad, I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

No problem. I'll definitely look at changing their food. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom