fahaka puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathfromabove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey my LFS has a baby Fahaka puffer or nile puffer it says mbu puffer but mbu puffers have circles on them, this one has stripes and looks exactly like a fahaka anyway, i immediately wanted him as soon as we locked eyes haha, and they said it would be fine in a 29 gallon tank for a few years and eventually at full grown **** be about 10 inches and will need a 55 gal tank is this correct cuz that seems too small for a puffer of that size also hes about 5 inches if thats the size of a baby wouldnt he get bigger than 10 inches?

Fahaka Puffers get quite large.

Even though it has been awhile, I hope your fahaka friend is doing well. I have my fahaka in a 125 gallon, and sometimes I think even that is too small for him. Mine is currently 12", but they are supposed to be able to grow close to 1 1/2 feet. As long as he has enough room to turn around, to burrow under the sand if he wants, and heavy filtration to take care of ammonia/nitrates, etc., I think 75 gallons would be an absolute minimum.

I have mine in a 90 right now. I got him when he was 1.5 inches. He is growing at a rate of approximately 3/4" a month right now and is about 4 inches. He will be going into a 150 when the time is right.
Fahaka grow at the rate of 1/2" to 1" if fed properly until about 10" to 11" then slow down. Maxing out at 18" for a male. He will bust out of the 29 in no time.

If they don't have the room to turn around efficiently they develop a spinal problem that bends there tails over time and causes them to not swim properly. They use there tails as a rudder and not a propellor. I have seen one like this and It's sad. He was making a consistent "left turn" trying to swim across the tank forcing him to compensate and he looked very slow and wobbly while swimming.

Back
Top Bottom