Fake Decorative Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PockX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone else use fake decorative plants in their tanks? (The ones you use in your house for decoration) I use them for now (until I get real plants) and have not had any problems with them. They have the metal wire in the stems to allow them to bend sometimes..which was my concern. But my water is perfect even with them. They are alot cheaper and can be made into certain ways you want them. Anyone else use these?

that metal wire (if exposed to water through a hole or something in the plastic that covers it) will rust and leach unwanted minerals in the water which will ultimately be bad for your fish

also i dont know if using fake house plants would be safe or not, i would say no just because of the wire, but those plants are also dyed different colors so that dye could also leach unwanted things into the water.

Last edited:
that metal wire (if exposed to water through a hole or something in the plastic that covers it) will rust and leach unwanted minerals in the water which will ultimately be bad for your fish

That's what I was worried about..only a couple have metal wire. But it's only temporary..and none of the wires are exposed (that I know of). Thanks!

So far so good though..I can't say it'll always stay that way though haha. I soaked them and cleaned them before adding them and no dyes bled out. And also none in the tank (that I can see).

If it does not say that it is safe for aquarium use or it is not something that is known to be safe for the aquarium, I wouldn't use it.

David

I used to use them - had a bunch of them in my tank for several years and they were fine. All fish were fine. Doesn't mean you will have the same luck, though ;)

I used to use them - had a bunch of them in my tank for several years and they were fine. All fish were fine. Doesn't mean you will have the same luck, though ;)

I have been fine so far too..but I'm going to real plants in those pants when I have the money so in the mean time I'm just using those :p

Back
Top Bottom