Fake Plate vs Real plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Csheets

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do real plates do anything? Or is it just for looks? Also Does any one know where to get cheap fake plants?

Ebay or Craigslist will get you the cheapest plants. Check aquabid as well.

Real plants create a more natural setting and in my opinion look better than fakes. It's totally up to you though. Not every tank has to be an extravagant nature aquarium lay out. Low maintenance plants look just as good.

As Crepe said, real plants look more natural. They also suck up some of the nitrates from fish waste. For me, they're another challenge to master in fish keeping.

As Crepe said, real plants look more natural. They also suck up some of the nitrates from fish waste. For me, they're another challenge to master in fish keeping.

+1. Also, since I have started this hobby I am starting to like the look of the real plants much better. It all depends on your tastes and what you like. I personally try and get the most natural looking fake plants as I can. I plan on slowly replacing my fake plants with real ones

Yeah, real plants look well real. The provide a more natural setting, use up nitrates and I've heard ammonia/nitrites as well. Plus they're fun to grow. It all depends on your preference. I like the idea of a balanced ecosystem, because the fish provide for the plants and vice versa.

--Adeeb

Like Big Jim said, they do suck up some of the Nitrates and help with the filtration. I have all Low Light plants with no CO2. I started them off with Liquid Fertilizer "flourish Excel", but no longer need it. I highly recommend the real thing.

They do look nicer, but they require as much work as the fish themselves - if not more, to look after. Plus they need a decent amount and duration of lighting.

Personally I use fake plants, they are much easier to look after ;) and I have lighting to suit myself and the fish, not plants!

I've got my windowsills and back yard for growing plants :p

They do look nicer, but they require as much work as the fish themselves - if not more, to look after. Plus they need a decent amount and duration of lighting.

If you pick the right plants, all they'll really need is a decent light and the occasional trimming. I've got water sprite, anacharis, pennywort, java fern, java moss, and amazon swords in my tanks. Two tanks use simple CFL bulbs, the third uses T5. All lights are on a timer that turns the lights on for two five hour increments. That way the lights are on for a while when I get home at night. All I really do is trim the plants when they need it, usually once every 4-8 weeks.

Both plants have their benefits. Fakes ones are nonmaintainence and easy to rearrange, and real ones help with nitrates and provide that more natural look. But there are more downfalls to real plants. You have to have good enough lighting, a lot of fish will eat off of them which kind of wastes your money but gives the fish a nutritious snack, and you have to make sure you take off any dead parts of leaves because it can raise your water parameters. Personally, if you're up for the challenge then go for it. I can't keep them because my severums and other cichlids will like to move them and eat off of them.

Back
Top Bottom