False Julii Cory ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I just got one for my kids 10 gal and an albino cory for the 35 hex. I was under the belief that one each was ok.

Do I have to get more for the Julii and should I swap them to different tanks?

and

What is the difference from regular and false Julii corys? The lfs just had them as Julii's, but I think they are falsies.

I'm curious regarding the difference in true and false julii's as well. If someone could fill us in that'd be great.

I have kept cories by themselves and they have been fine, and they do well in groups IME.

The usual recommendation is to keep them in groups. They are schooling fish and will be happier and much more fun to watch in groups. I think 1 or 2 more in the 10 and 35 would be fine. I have 3 mixed cories in a 55 and am thinking of getting them some more friends. I have 4 pygmies (C. habrosus) in a 10g.

I think the 'false' designation is a result of the general confusion in taxonomy of all Corydoras...in any case they are probably two very similar looking species that would most likely school together perfectly fine.

The difference is mostly in the pattern of the spots. True Julii cories have very small spots that are close together in their pattern. C. julii. False Julii cories usually have more of a reticulated pattern above the horizontal stripe. Sometimes they will have spots, but will be slightly larger spots than C. julii and more spaced out. Because the 2 look so similar, C. trilineatus became known as False Julii cories. C. trilineatus.

True Julii cories are very rare in the aquarium trade these days and would be very expensive if you were to find them. Many stores label C. trilineatus falsely as "Julii Cories".

I'd get each of your cory species a few friends. I like keeping cories in groups of atleast 6...the more the merrier though. :D

Well I will see about getting them some buddies soon. I am expecting 2 batches of fry any FREAKIN day now. One Molly and one Platy (my first platy batch). So I will deal with this first.

cories are fine with livebearer fry - i keep trilineatus cories in with my guppy breeding tank with no problems. you definitely want to get a couple more - a group of 3 should be ok.

I have one false jullii (not by design, his friends all croaked over time) and I plan on getting a lot more. I've found cories to be weird fish. The ones I've had refused to school with any cory other than their own kind. It struck me as a little strange. How does a fish know what it's coloration is? How does a julii know to discriminate against the aenus cories? Does the NAACP know about this?

Back
Top Bottom