Fancy goldfish help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks :) we are making beef stew for dinner dinner tonight , so I thought id ask , how about carrots ? And do I just leave it in the tank for them nibble at all day ? We feed them once in the am and once at night.

Cooked, plain veggies daily are great for goldies! Broccoli florets, spinach, zucchini, deshelled peas, aspargus heads, cauliflower, bits carrots & green/red peppers, & pretty much any dark green leafy veggie (turnip greens, kale, etc). Avoid starchy stuff (potatoes, corn, etc) & spicy stuff (onions, hot peppers). :)

Carrots fine. Make sure you cook them until they are soft. Leave them in for a day them remove the leftovers, if there are any. Never fed my guys carrot, let me know how it goes :)

Awesome ! I'll try a carrot. Should I still feed them in the morning and at night if I'm gonna toss a carrot in there for them to nibble on ?

Not much luck with the carrot lol , they picked at it a lil but that's all. I'll try something else tonight. Cucumber or broccoli maybe ?

ScottyAllen said:
Not much luck with the carrot lol , they picked at it a lil but that's all. I'll try something else tonight. Cucumber or broccoli maybe ?
maybe in time :)
Mine LOVE broccoli. I put it in a coffee cup, cover in water, then zap it in the microwave until soft(ish). It usually sinks after that.

Lol, your awesome ! My guys LOVED broccoli too ! I can't believe how Much of it they ate :) so, here's my next question, when I give them the broccoli, or any other vegyable for that matter, am I still supposed to feed them their regular feedings ? Or does the vegtable count as a feeding ? I usually give them crisps or flakes at night , but last night I gave them the broccoli and that was it, I didn't wanna risk over feeding them by giving them fish food as well. Thanks again guys ! I'm really happy I found this forum you have been so helpful.

Generally, you dont count veggies as meals. Goldies can eat veggies all day long with no issues but they still need protien & vitamins for growth & health. If they are chowing down on the veggies, just space out their meals between veggies. :)

HEY GUYS :) getting sick of me yet ? Heresy my most recent concern, a brownish film on the back of the tank. Is this normal ? What should I do about it ?

Most likely diatoms. Normal in new tank. Its a nuisance more than anything & should burn out as the tank becomes better established. Just wipe it off when doing a water change. :)

Thanks. Water change is coming up on Wednesday. I have been doing a 50% change every week.

Ok. New question. I read in a book or online somewhere about only changing half the filter media when I change the filters ? What is the media ? The carbon ? And how often do you guys reccomend I change the filters ? And as always , any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated :)

Ideally, you want to keep your filter media as long as possible. Just swish them in some used tank water once every week or two to clean them if they get clogged up. Your 'media' is whatever your using in your filters for your bacteria to grow on- it may be cartridges, sponges, ceramic rings, bio-balls, filter floss, foam inserts or whatever may be in there. You want to keep this stuff until its falling apart.

Carbon is not necessary & loses its usefullness after just a few weeks. It serves the purpose for removing meds or odors & thats about it. If you have carbon-filled filter cartridges, I honestly would open them & dump the carbon out or slit them & remove it. Then stuff the filter bags with filter floss. Filter floss is just polyfill- you can pick up a bag at any big chain store (walmart) or arts & crafts store for a few dollars. If your filters truly start to fall apart, cut them up & stick in the filter housing with a new filter. Thats about it! :)

Wow. So I have been buying filters way more often than I need to !!?? That's great. Because they aren't cheap.

So the bacteria will grow on the polyfill ? And I just want to swish the filters in tank water ? Do not rinse them in the sink ?

ScottyAllen said:
So the bacteria will grow on the polyfill ? And I just want to swish the filters in tank water ? Do not rinse them in the sink ?

Yes it will.
Yes. Use tank water or dechlorinated water.
Never! The chlorine and chloramine will kill the bacteria.
:)

You said to cut my old filters up and put them in the filter housing ? That won't slow down the water flow through the filter ?

I know there are some cold water plecos out there, but other than that do u guys know of any other algae eaters I could add to the tank to help with clean up or is that not neccesary ?

Back
Top Bottom