fancy guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of fancy guppies that i got pregnant from the petstore. I've had them for a few weeks now and they have yet to drop. I'd like to keep some of these, so i put the two of them in a net breeder with an fine-leaved artifical plant in there.

What hope can i have for some babies?

Pffffft, guppies breed like hell. I am assuming you have a male and a female so you should get more babies. YOu could also move the adults or the babies to another tank. YOu have other fish in that tank right?

I have a quick question. I had my 20 guppy fry about 2 week and I heard from someone that the water parameters determent the gender of the fry... is that true... If so what are the water parameters to get male guppies?

i've just put one of my guppy's in my main tank. she's about 3 and a half months old now and just starting to get some colour on her tail. I also have 2 guppy fry which are about 1 and a half months old now. About a week and a half ago my swordtail gave birth to 12 little guys and gurls. Theyre doing great. Feeding them a mixture of crushed flakes and liquifry(for livebearers).

Mumrah -- females guppies usually take 3 to 4 weeks between batches. If you put them into a breeder net or some such thing too early, they can abort. They also can carry several batches of fry (I think 5?) when no males are present. My females are about every 3 weeks in a community tank. I do not separate the fry and some from every batch make it just fine (LOTS of plants for them to hide in). Good luck :)

I do the same thing as you, thesydmonster, let the survival of the fittest rule with the fry. Guppies have so many babies so frequently, that to separate them in their own tank would quickly lead to overpopulation!! Several of my fry have survived by swimming fast and hiding. (the smart ones)

Back
Top Bottom