Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Favorite/best water test kit?

What is everybody's favorite (or best/most accurate) kit you use for water parameter testing on your tanks? I'm looking for a direction before I buy something blindly... I am super willing to order online if it's something I can't find in my area. I'm currently using test strips (I don't even know what brand) but I've heard the strips can be kind of off.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use the API Master Test Kit plus the API KH and GH test kit. I plan to buy a total dissolved solids TDS test pen and possibly a PH test pen. I am also considering a chlorine tester and possibly even an oxygen meter. I think the API Master Kit is all you really need. You can probably get GH and KH tested occasionally at a fish store.

I am not sure the API Master Test Kit is “most accurate”. That would be some kind of lab quality testing system. But I think the API kit is good for basic fish keeping. Lots of of people say test strips are not accurate. I used test strips and the API Master Test Kit simultaneously for a while and found them to be pretty close to each other. I cannot really say from personal knowledge that the Master Test Kit is more accurate but I believe those who say it is. Many test kits have GH. I do not know how accurate they are. Knowing GH can be important for some fish, snails and plants. But lots of fish keepers do just fine without ever knowing their GH. Knowing KH can be important for keeping PH stable.

Tags
ate, test, test kit, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com