Favorite Freshwater Fish For 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antmantis1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let's hear it your favorite freshwater fish for a ten gallon. Pictured if you like. Message me on the fishes and I may feature them on a YouTube video in a new 10g tank!

Male Betta will be the best. Also you can go for pair of angels. If wanna go for smaller fish go for guppy. But I will go for betta and a pair of Molly may be.

As my name suggests, I am obsessed with gouramis! They are really endearing and I have a 10 Gallon set up just for my gouramis. My tank contains all dwarf species of gourami.

img_1581591_0_79360383e3017fc4dfe8b4f9ce4eafe5.jpg

Aren't they adorable?

Bettas and ember tetras. My favorite combo.
Angels and mollies do not belong in 10 gallons imo.
How many species of dwarf gourami are there? I thought the dwarf gourami was the only one. I aso thought it was the only one who could be in a 10g, and then just one of them.

From my research, fish breeders are coming up with all kinds of different variations of the same fish. I frown upon color injecting but the breeder I went to had babies that looked like the one in the picture above and thus has created the single variation with lots of careful breeding. Dwarf gouramis (on top of the orange one) look like that and the orange one is of dwarf honey variety. So realistically there's only really 4 dwarf sized variations I know of (thick lipped, honey, Pygmy, and the regular dwarf). I call them dwarf but really they are just smaller gouramis in the family, the smallest being the Pygmy.

From my research, fish breeders are coming up with all kinds of different variations of the same fish. I frown upon color injecting but the breeder I went to had babies that looked like the one in the picture above and thus has created the single variation with lots of careful breeding. Dwarf gouramis (on top of the orange one) look like that and the orange one is of dwarf honey variety. So realistically there's only really 4 dwarf sized variations I know of (thick lipped, honey, Pygmy, and the regular dwarf). I call them dwarf but really they are just smaller gouramis in the family, the smallest being the Pygmy.
Ok, those are not dwarfs, just small. Careful, it causes confusion since there if a species called a dwarf gourami. I guess i should have refined my question. I was asking to see if you were refering to the color varieties of the dg, or refering to other small species of gourami. :) Also, I don't think honeys belong in a 10 gallon tank.

Yeah, I own "dwarfs gouramis." The blue/orange ones. I also own one honey. I've asked the petstore and breeder and they told me I own a "dwarf honey gourami." Those are their exact words. I don't know if I should trust them because the one fish I have looks like a color-injected thick lipped. I don't approve or appreciate color-injecting in fish, and if this is true this would upset me.

Petstores do not always give relibale info. Sorry, its my fault for leading this astray, but we should get back to the topic at hand rather than discuss this more here. Like I said, its my fault, sorry.
My other favorite 10 gallon fish would be guppies. Every color combo under the sun. :)

Oh, I'm not annoyed or nothing! Please do not worry about it. It's hard to express feelings over text, but seriously, I'm still :).

I'm finding out since I joined this site that 10 gallons are difficult to keep because you can overcrowd it rather quickly. I have a betta as well in a seperate tank. It'd be cool if I could mix him with gouramis but that'd be impossible I think.

Oh, I'm not annoyed or nothing! Please do not worry about it. It's hard to express feelings over text, but seriously, I'm still :).

I'm finding out since I joined this site that 10 gallons are difficult to keep because you can overcrowd it rather quickly. I have a betta as well in a seperate tank. It'd be cool if I could mix him with gouramis but that'd be impossible I think.
Lol, I was apologizing to the OP whose thread I mis-directed. Its rude to re-direct threads. I did it, so I am sorry to the OP.
Back to the topic of my favorite 10 gallon fish: I would love to try clown killifish. They are amazing looking! I know there are other species of killis that can fit in a 10g too, but I don't know their names off the top of my head.

Ohhh, haha!

I've seen those at Big Al's once. That'd be so wicked to have in my house for sure!

You can do a shell dweller multis tank. Or an Indian Dwarf Puffer tank.

Hmmm, other ideas... I was actually at a new LFS by my place and I finally got to see some Scarlet Badis (aka: Dario Dario) fish for the first time in-person. They are so cool and intriguing.. I would do those (IF... you can find them) with some Pygmy Corys.

Okay the tank is cycles for almost 4 months now. Took forever in the next two weeks or so you'll see a post and video up on YouTube. Thanks I think you'll like the choices.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Well what's the choices? LOL

Oh sorry. So I'm going.
One dwarf gourami
6 tetras (haven't decided what species )
Six corys
And some shrimp.

Careful of shrimp with your fish, they usually get eaten. That can be avoided if the tank is super well planted though, but then you might not see the shrimp much. IMoO.This is probably silly, but you know they should be pygmy corys, right?

absolutangel04 said:
Careful of shrimp with your fish, they usually get eaten. That can be avoided if the tank is super well planted though, but then you might not see the shrimp much. IMoO.This is probably silly, but you know they should be pygmy corys, right?

Lol yes I do. I really care for my fish I went out of my way to get a 50g for one goldfish. Lol but I've had her since I was young so shes special. I'm get the pygmys to clarify. Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom