favorite scavengers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
when I get my 120 im looking for ideas for ground feeders and I was wondering what everyone likes. right now im thinkin 5 yoyod 5 clown loaches and a rainbow shark. any other ideas for a 120 gallon?

i have a couple pictus catfish. they are comical as well as beautifull. they grow to be about 10 inches long. here is a pic or two.
new fish 021.jpg
new fish 022.jpg

Attachments

• new fish 021.jpg
    new fish 021.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 75
  • new fish 022.jpg
    new fish 022.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 72
Just out of curiosity (thinking down the road to bigger tanks...), how long does it take to grow to full size?

to be honest, i dont know how fast they will grow but can tell you that they are advertised to grow to 10 inches. in reality, they usually dont grow to be more than 6. they can do fine in a 30 gal, but they are happiest in, at least, a 55 gal.

You could add another type of loach to the mix IMO, since its a large tank. Polka Dot or Zebra loaches would be cool along with the Yoyos and Clowns.

If you get a Pictus catfish, make sure you don't have fish small enough to get eaten. They will pick off small tetras if they can fit them in their mouths.

You could add another type of loach to the mix IMO, since its a large tank. Polka Dot or Zebra loaches would be cool along with the Yoyos and Clowns.

If you get a Pictus catfish, make sure you don't have fish small enough to get eaten. They will pick off small tetras if they can fit them in their mouths.

lmao......i have 9 tetras and 5 tiger barbs. guess ill be counting everyday

to be honest, i dont know how fast they will grow but can tell you that they are advertised to grow to 10 inches. in reality, they usually dont grow to be more than 6. they can do fine in a 30 gal, but they are happiest in, at least, a 55 gal.

Thats not too terrible then... and a 55 gal is my goal for the next size step up... but no telling if I will be able to convince the wife that I need to step up eventually... I think she is starting to regret letting me dive into this obsess... err... i mean hobby ;P

In my opinion, if you have the space/money for 55 gallon, you should just pick up a 75 gallon. The increased foot print size is miniscule, and the next step up in equipment(mainly filtration) really isn't that much of a price difference. For the slight extra coin that you are dishing out, your options will really open up with fish, plants, and corals if you go S/W.

Haha! My wife will *love* you for that suggestion ;)

Honestly though, not a bad idea. I'll be putting any larger tank down in my basement (concrete pad), so no worries about weight. At that size, would I need to start looking at a sump (for freshwater though... not brave enough for Salt), or is an outboard canister still a good solution?

Thanks! you've got the gears turnin'

Haha! My wife will *love* you for that suggestion ;)

Honestly though, not a bad idea. I'll be putting any larger tank down in my basement (concrete pad), so no worries about weight. At that size, would I need to start looking at a sump (for freshwater though... not brave enough for Salt), or is an outboard canister still a good solution?

Thanks! you've got the gears turnin'

I personally don't see a need for a sump in any freshwater tank. The water chemistry isn't as sensitive and complicated as saltwater. A canister filter will work fine for a 75 gallon tank. I would suggest an XP3 a the minimum, but I think someone around here runs dual XP4's.

Back
Top Bottom