favoritest schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veetors

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all!

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite schooling fish is and why?

Thanks!

Veetors

Clown Loaches, as they will play follow the leader. They also pack switch blades under their eyes, allowing them live peacefully with large aggressive tank mates.

Beginner here . Only got Red eyed Tetra's and Zebra Danio's and the Danio's are my favourite to date . They are so active and fun to watch .

Nice! I've had neons in the past, but not enough to actually see them school. I have silver dollars right now and I see them school every once in a while unless they get scared and a couple of them will just hide under my driftwood...

It really depends on if the schooling fish is a bottom feeder, or a normal swimmer.

If we were talking about normal swimmers, I would have to go with Harlequin Rasbora. They stay pretty small, you can have largish schools in even small tanks, and huge schools in large tanks. They have some real amazing personalities, most i've seen in most fish.

If we were talking about bottom feeders, I would go with the dwarf cories. They are so fun to watch if you have a large school of 10+. Swimming back and fourth in a big tank, just like a train. When they go up on the walls they do this train, single file, line thing. On the ground they stick with just a large group, but it's so amazing watching them.

My favorite are discus because they have a pecking order and seem to be more intelligent than other schooling fishes.

I like neons, cories, and SAE's. Cherry barbs are pretty good too. So are Brichardi

If we were talking about normal swimmers, I would have to go with Harlequin Rasbora. They stay pretty small, you can have largish schools in even small tanks, and huge schools in large tanks. They have some real amazing personalities, most i've seen in most fish.

Everytime I'm at the pet store I seem to be drawn in to the tank with the Harlequin Rasboras... They are fun to watch...

I second what FishCrazy said regarding Harlequin Rasboras - I used to have a decent school, but in recent times 2 jumped the tank and I lost one for some unknown reason. I'd replace them, but I have a thing for threadfin ranbows at the moment, so going to get a nice school of those going next.

i just purely LOVE the danios schooling

ATM i have 3 matures (6 cm) and 5 youngsters (4.5-5 cms)
when one of the old ones starts swimming, it's gets funny FAST;P

sometimes even the other fish are schooling with them ;PPP

Ember tetras because they are good schoolers and they are super cute and pretty. :)

Rummynose tetras are a close second for being such tight schoolers.

Cherry barbs are fun to watch as well I have a tank with gourami and an angel along with loaches and a bala. I have six of the barbs and they are the smaller type but get along with all the other semi aggressive fish. Oh and they are bright red which makes for a nice addition to the community!

Tiger barbs.
I really like the albinos.
A tad aggressive but fun to watch.

i third the harlequin rasboras, my school is only 10 right now, but SOO much fun to watch and less skittish then my silver dollars!

Back
Top Bottom