Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fear of overstocking.

Hi,
I run a Aqua One 980T capacity of 240 ltrs,so minus the rocks and substrate I would say it would be about 200> 220 ltrs.

The pump says 1000ltrs an hour.

Originally stock was:
3 bronze Corydoras
3 Pepper Corydoras
11 Rummy Nosed Tetras.
5 neon Tetras
2 BristleNose Catfish.

All of the above are pretty much full grown,apart from the Bristle Nose.They are about 50mm at present.

I do weekly water changes at 25>40% depending on time.

I was handed 16 very small Rosy Barbs today as previous owner was going to throw them away.

My biggest fear is overstocking as they grow bigger.

I know I am going to have to do a good water change every week,regardless if I am in the mood or not.

The tank is not heavily planted.Some Anubias and java ferns along with some java moss.

I have done the AqAdvisor and it tells me I am overstocked and my stock is @ 157% and to do 59% water changes per week.

I added the tank dimensions to AqAdvisor but could not find or add the filter volume,so not sure if that made a difference to to the overstocking result.Filter is under the hood type.

At present all is well as the Rosy Barbs are very very small.

My main concern is when the Rosy Barbs grow,I will put my tank into over load mode.

If this is so,then I was thinking of keeping x amount,picking the best colored fish to keep and passing the remainder on to someone else.

Any thoughts please.

Thank you.
Andy.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are pretty over stocked once they grow out. I would keep 6 and give away the rest. Or you could give them all away. Up to you but I wouldn't keep them all.

Remember, when in doubt, stock less.

Best of luck with the tank, - Raymond

Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

Thanks Raymond,

That was my worry about overstocking when they get bigger.I might just keep six at a later date..The Granddaughter is starting to get an interest in fish ( 4 yr old) so I might get her a nice 2ft tank and set up one for here,or more to the point get the tank for her,but for me,put a few in that and pass the remainder onto others.

Appreciate the reply and the welcome.

Andy
Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Tank

Hello cart...

If my math is right, you have a 60 gallon tank. I have a similar tank with roughly more fish than you have. The cats can get pretty large, I have one that's 8 inches, plus quite a few Platys and others too. Anyway, smaller water changes won't do the job. I change out 60 percent of the tank water every week and use floating plants to help maintain pure water conditions between water changes.

You just need to change out more tank water and plant the tank well. Since you have to get out the equipment to change the water anyway, spend a few more minutes and change out a lot. The fish load you have is fine for a larger tank. Simply change more water.

B
Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks B,
As you said big water changes are the important part and a few more minutes is nothing really.

In regards to well planted tank,I have had no real luck with plants,hence the reason for going for non stem plants.

My substrate is swimming pool filter sand and I suppose it is basically a low light tank.

I did have lots of plants and driftwood prior and found that I was constantly having murky water and BBA outbreak,so the tank was stripped down and I removed the plants and driftwood,mainly to enable me to have some clarity in the water.

When I asked my LFS about the extra fish added they assured me I would have no problem,but at the same time I have seen them sell a tank,with fish and accessories. Yet not mention to the customer about cycling the tank.

Hence the reason for me posting here.

Thanks for the input to my query.

Andy.

Tags
overstock, overstocking, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com