Feast for the eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, and I'm totally a party pooper to say this, but...

Just FYI, krap, the neurocranium (the bone structure which contains the brain) of fish is actually a little further back in the head. The lump on Flowerhorns and Frontosas (amongst others) is a fatty (I'm pretty sure) deposit. Not sure if you knew this or not!

There. I spoiled your fun... sorry :roll: All in the name of scientific correctness :wink:

i was just joking 8P if u really thought i meant that. but i guess "spoiling my fun" u already knew that

I just can't get into fish with weird growths. They just don't look right. It's like those "goldfish" (?) that have the big googley eyes or the ones that look like their brain is exterior. They give me the heebie jeebies. I do like the colorations though...

Yeah these goldfishes can be quite a 'spectacle' sometimes. It really is kinda funny how some fishes that are like a "feast to the eyes" can be "a pain in the xxx" for others. Guess that's what makes the world such a colourful place to live in. But I think every species has its own uniqueness and appeal.

Well here's some pics of flowerhorns for those who don't find the humps sexy. I call it as one of those from my collection called
"Children Of A Lesser Nod" :lol:

Dsc00062.jpg
bigfish-3.jpg
DSC00226.jpg

ClamKnuckle said:
yeah the more deformed a fishes features the cooler it looks to me
you ever see the simpsons episode where bart catches the three eyed fish downstream of the nuclear power plant?

Personally, I prefer my Mbuna that look like torpedoes
Me too.

To each their own though. Most of my fish have plenty of character without any need for bumps, humps, fat brain pans, and google eyes. If I ever did get a fish like that, I would name it Frankenstein (I know, I know, Frankenstein was the doctor - not the monster. I'd still give him that name though).

I had one of these back ten years ago, when I built my first aquarium. At the time, I found them to be very unique. Not so sure I would want one now.

BTW......I named s/he, Humpty cause of the bulbous head. That was back when I named fish, as well :lol: .

I had one of these back ten years ago, when I built my first aquarium. At the time, I found them to be very unique. Not so sure I would want one now.

BTW......I named s/he, Humpty cause of the bulbous head. That was back when I named fish, as well :lol: .

Just an FYI....the 'nuchal hump' on the 'Flowerhorn' is much more prominent on dominant mature males. It is NOT, however, the result of hybridization. Many male cichlids, African and Central/South American, develop this 'frontal gibbosity' as they mature. It can be particularly prominent on such diverse species as the Jack Dempsey (Cichlasoma octofasciatum), the Red Devil (Amphilophus labiatus), the Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatum or whatever else they're calling it these days), Cyphotilapia frontosa/gibberosa, the Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus) and the African 'lionhead' cichlids (Steatocranus species).

Though I personally don't like the appearance the hump imparts to a fish, it is NOT a deformity.

Still pretty ugly to me. I don't really get the attraction to blood parrots/flowerhorns/etc.

Why worship these when you could worship something that is naturally weird-looking, like..say...

secr01.jpg

Mola mola awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay~

krap101, What does 8P mean? I see you use it a lot. I usually can figure out these things but this one makes no sense to me at all!

Back
Top Bottom