Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Feeder block mess. What is this?

Went out of town and wrestled with whether or not to use a feeder block. I wish I hadn't. I came back to this mess all around the block. It's only turning brown in the area pictured. It's a 65 gallon and that spot is right in the center. The sand is still bright white on the left, right and back of the tank. My parameters are all great. It IS a new tank though. I've only had fish in it for under a month. It is a cycled tank. Is this diatoms or cyano, or something else?

I read that diatoms thrive on low light, but this seems to almost clear up by morning after having the lights off overnight. It progressively gets darker again during the day. This made me wonder if it may not be a diatom issue. It's been a week now since I've been back home.
Oh yes, I should add that my Mollies seem to eat it? They scoop a bit up, then spit the sand back out. Don't know if that helps or not. I found it interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diatoms (1000x563).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	228402  

Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker_7 View Post
Went out of town and wrestled with whether or not to use a feeder block. I wish I hadn't. I came back to this mess all around the block. It's only turning brown in the area pictured. It's a 65 gallon and that spot is right in the center. The sand is still bright white on the left, right and back of the tank. My parameters are all great. It IS a new tank though. I've only had fish in it for under a month. It is a cycled tank. Is this diatoms or cyano, or something else?

I read that diatoms thrive on low light, but this seems to almost clear up by morning after having the lights off overnight. It progressively gets darker again during the day. This made me wonder if it may not be a diatom issue. It's been a week now since I've been back home.
Oh yes, I should add that my Mollies seem to eat it? They scoop a bit up, then spit the sand back out. Don't know if that helps or not. I found it interesting.
Just looks like diatoms to me.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! Will it go away on its own? Do I need to do anything? I've read so many differing opinions. Would love to hear from anyone that has experienced it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once the silicates in the tank are used up, they'll go away.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The diatom growth is more related to it being a new tank rather than the feeder block. They go away on their own after a few weeks.

Tags
feed, feeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com