Feeder block mess. What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seeker_7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went out of town and wrestled with whether or not to use a feeder block. I wish I hadn't. I came back to this mess all around the block. It's only turning brown in the area pictured. It's a 65 gallon and that spot is right in the center. The sand is still bright white on the left, right and back of the tank. My parameters are all great. It IS a new tank though. I've only had fish in it for under a month. It is a cycled tank. Is this diatoms or cyano, or something else?

I read that diatoms thrive on low light, but this seems to almost clear up by morning after having the lights off overnight. It progressively gets darker again during the day. This made me wonder if it may not be a diatom issue. It's been a week now since I've been back home.
Oh yes, I should add that my Mollies seem to eat it? They scoop a bit up, then spit the sand back out. Don't know if that helps or not. I found it interesting.

Attachments

• diatoms (1000x563).jpg
    diatoms (1000x563).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 71
Went out of town and wrestled with whether or not to use a feeder block. I wish I hadn't. I came back to this mess all around the block. It's only turning brown in the area pictured. It's a 65 gallon and that spot is right in the center. The sand is still bright white on the left, right and back of the tank. My parameters are all great. It IS a new tank though. I've only had fish in it for under a month. It is a cycled tank. Is this diatoms or cyano, or something else?

I read that diatoms thrive on low light, but this seems to almost clear up by morning after having the lights off overnight. It progressively gets darker again during the day. This made me wonder if it may not be a diatom issue. It's been a week now since I've been back home.
Oh yes, I should add that my Mollies seem to eat it? They scoop a bit up, then spit the sand back out. Don't know if that helps or not. I found it interesting.

Just looks like diatoms to me.

Thanks! Will it go away on its own? Do I need to do anything? I've read so many differing opinions. Would love to hear from anyone that has experienced it.

Once the silicates in the tank are used up, they'll go away.

The diatom growth is more related to it being a new tank rather than the feeder block. They go away on their own after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom