feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made myself a feeding ring and was surprised at how much food I cut back. I also went from feeding once a day for four minutes to twice a day, two minutes each. Once a week I'll substitute frozen blood worms for a feeding, once a week I'll substitute freeze dried brine shrimp for a feeding, and once a week I'll not feed for 24 hours. Twice a week I'll drop a zucchini or cucumber in for 24 hours, and twice a week I'll drop an algae disk.

The reason I went to two feedings is because I put a 10 school of Cardinal Tetras in and they are pretty small. But, I didn't want just more food, so I split the amount up into two smaller feedings.

Hope that all makes sense...

Unfortunately, this is one of those topics that there isn't a right or wrong way. It will depend on the fish and about the only thing you don't want to do is overfeed.

Never heard of a feeding ring but googled it. Sounds like a neat idea. I think I could make one if those even with my limited crafting skills.

I feed every 2-3 days. I feed a variety of foods. This keeps the fish healthy and the tanks clean. I never have to worry about digestive issues with my fish.

It's also helpful for when we vacation. Our pet nanny can basically feed the fish twice while we're gone and it's not an upset to the schedule.

I personally think it depends on the age and species of the fish.
I feed my young angels twice daily, but I feed my adult angel once daily with a 24 hour break every week. What fish do you currently have?

Never heard of a feeding ring but googled it. Sounds like a neat idea. I think I could make one if those even with my limited crafting skills.
I have a lot of circulation in my tank. A Fluval 304 (260 gph) and two Rio+ 600 (200 gph each). When I would sprinkle the food on top it would immediately spread all over the surface and then start dropping. The pumps would pick up some and the fish wouldn't get a chance to eat before the food was on the bottom.

I resorted to turning the Fluval 304 off during feeding to lower the surface agitation and then turning it back on. It quickly became apparent I didn't want to do that all the time. Then I saw a feeding ring and I thought I would give it a try. It worked great.

The food stays in the ring and when it starts to sink it does it in one area. The fish take their positions and a few start right at the top and the other catch the stuff they miss. By the time the food has a chance to get to the bottom it is usually gone.

For a do it yourself el cheapo feeding ring, I took a plastic Glad container top from a small container and cut the center out of it. I perforated the burping tab and stuck a twisty through it, forming it to the contour of the tank top.
2261896400105699732S425x425Q85.jpg
2138084290105699732S425x425Q85.jpg

When I use it, I insert it upside down, so the ridge that would normally seal against the container is facing up, sort of like a boat. This keeps it afloat on the water and stops the current from taking the food away.
2719349600105699732S425x425Q85.jpg

Works like a charm and now my feeding takes less material, the substrate is exposed to less waste, the filter is not plugging up with a bunch of uneaten food, and the fish get really excited when they see it appear!!!

very cool idea dale. thanks for sharing! i feed once a day but i can easily turn my filter on and off so it's off for feeding which keeps the food floating and the bottom cleaner.

My husband made a feeding ring and used it for about 2 days, I think. It ended up that his fish got too aggressive with all the food in such a tight area.

I don't use feeding rings because I know that if the food gets well distributed throughout the tank, all my fish are being fed properly, not just the more aggressive or fastest fish. I don't overfeed, so leftover food is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom