Feeding a Bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Steve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to supplement my Bristlenose Pleco's diet with algae wafers, but my Swordtail and two Mollies eat them before the Pleco can get any. Suggestions?

Do you have a cave or something that the Pleco can fit in that the other fish can't?

If there is a place where the Pleco likes to hang out, you could put the wafer there, right before lights out.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Pretty much anywhere the Pleco goes, the other fish go too. I'll try the other option though. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. My bristle nose is by far the largest fish in the tank and is frightened of his own shadow. It's embarrassing ?. Even the cherry shrimp climb on him. But he is still healthy and growing after a year and a half. He lives in a cave and is never seen until late evening. I drop an algae wafer near his cave after lights out and I can see him feeding as the room lights just give enough light. The tank glass algae is stripped away and as he is the only algae eater he must be grazing at night. He's a fascinating addition to the tank and part of the overall Eco system but not part of the 'show'. Give your BN places to hide and feed at night and he'll be dead happy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Drop them in at night after lights out, he'll find them. Driftwood is also very good for them, having a nice chunk of that helps, plus they love to use it to hide out in

I've also heard of feeding blanched peas and zucchini to a bristle nose. Does anyone else do that? And will it be a problem for my other fish? Thanks.

My bnp loved blanched cucumber, I use to drop a slice in at night for her and remove leftovers in the morning.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

you can take a piece of zucchini or cucumber cut lengthwise and spear it with a fork to sink it on the bottom at lights out. then remove it in the morning. i would scrape away the larger seeds first because they can be a nuisance. you can also try all sorts of other veggies like this.

One more bristle nose question. How often would you recommend supplementing their diet? There's not a ton of algae growing in my tank, but he's always gnawing on everything. Does he need a lot of extra food?

Back
Top Bottom