Feeding a dwarf puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok thinking my tank is cycled. Redosed after a 90% wc last night. If my readings are good tonight gonna get my dwarf puffer fish for my 5 galleon

Got some questions about feeding him. I know they love snails. The tank I will put him in is covered in them. Should I not feed him till all the Snails are gone? Will he eat to much since there are so many snails In there. Do they eat the shells or do I have to clean them up.

Also thinking of adding some cheap ghost shrimp as a cleaning crew. If puffer kills them then so be it. If not have a cleaning crew. Would that work ?

Hi, I just recently got a dwarf puffer myself. Unfortunately it he didn't live very long. My research said this often happens. They are very sensitive to things and I think my found driftwood led to his demise. I plan on getting another one after I recycle the tank. I had ramshorn snails in his tank and he ate them. I found several cracked and dead ones under the driftwood. Looked like he tackled even the grown snails. There is a puffer form that has lots of great info and advice plus a forum. Here is the link The Puffer Forum • View forum - Freshwater Puffers
Most dwarf puffers are wild caught and will not eat freeze dried or other prepared food. I was told to get frozen blood worms to feed him. I never got that far though. I was also told that most puffers take a while to learn to eat offered food. They are used to hunting. You need to feed them blood worms or frozen, raw shrimp pieces to make sure they get the proper nutrition. They will not eat freeze dried worms. I also set up an earthworm colony to feed mine. I was told that earth worms are good for them if they will eat them. Check out the puffer forum for lots of suggestions on feeding and care.

Be sure to keep an eye out for half-eaten snails. Dwarf puffers are messy eaters and the dead snails can foul your water.

Sigh store out of dwarf puffers and not sure when they will get more in. No place else in area sells them. I am sad :(

Try online, we have a few companies in the UK that offer 24 hour deliery

Back
Top Bottom