Feeding an Otto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my otto was acting funny so sombody suggested I feed him some extra greens. I have a slice of zuchini in there and he loves it, but should I just let it waste away in there? Its been in there for hrs and he is sucking on it, but its starting to grow alge, i assume. Should I remove it or just let him at it?

you can leave it in fora day or two. I put my zucchini in and its usually gone by morning and then i take out the pieces. I always leave mine in at least overnight, won't hurt anything.

He is sucking on it bit its faily wide, so i dont see any damage. I'll take it out and put a smaller peice in tomrrow.

why not just leave it in overnight? if hes sucking on it he's probably eating something

I decided to replace it today, it was alredy in there for 36ish hrs. I pulled it up and it just fell apart and made a mess of my tank :( But its clearing up alredy.

I've left cucumber slices in the tank for 5 days without a problem. It looked the same after 4 days as 1 day except smaller. In a small tank where it might mess up the water quality I'd probably remove it after 1 or 2 days but at least leave it in over 1 night.

It dosn't need to be long till mine gets all fuzzy :/

When I feed my ottos and plecos, I add the veggies towards evening and let them in over night. If there is anything left over in the morning, I remove it. I wouldn't let it in til it rots and fouls the water.

Did you cook it? Try putting a raw piece in there. I have left mine in for 3 or 4 days before (by accident, it broke off the clip and I thought it was taken out, but was actually in the back of the tank) and it didn't get algae or fuzzy.

No mine isn't cookied. I think mine molds so fast becasue the otto and shrimp arn't doing their job and my CO2/light ratio is still off.

I also do what Fluff does, put the veggies in at night. By morning the cuke's are usually only the outer skin, LOL, they gut the things.

When your right your right. I put it in lates yesterday and they ate enough last night to uproot it, now its floating.

Back
Top Bottom