Feeding BGK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tainum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I usually feed my BGK a pretty decent amount of frozen blood worms. I drop maybe 15-20 Max in the tank and watch for a few minutes suck them up and I assume whatever he doesn't eat, my lemon Pleco finishes. The problem is that I can't really see a belly on him due to his fin. I can't really tell if he's full so I can't gauge on if I'm overfeeding him, but I've noticed that once he's ate most of them he goes back to his corners and hides for a little before coming back out and exploring the tank. Only had him for over a month and he's probably 3 inches long. Anyone with experience know signs of overfeeding or got a better way of seeing how to tell anything? Thanks.

If he is coming out to eat them and then leaving some behind I wouldn't worry about him being underfed. As long as he is eating and you can see him growing he should be fine. When mine was that size I fed him twice a day and he would eat and eat so once I could see his stomach starting to round I would stop. When they are this size they grow so fast and you should be able to see his growth almost daily. Once they hit about 6-8" they stop growing so fast and then you can cut back on the feedings.

If he is coming out to eat them and then leaving some behind I wouldn't worry about him being underfed. As long as he is eating and you can see him growing he should be fine. When mine was that size I fed him twice a day and he would eat and eat so once I could see his stomach starting to round I would stop. When they are this size they grow so fast and you should be able to see his growth almost daily. Once they hit about 6-8" they stop growing so fast and then you can cut back on the feedings.

What was his diet if you remember when you're was mine size? How fast did yours grow to the 6-8"?

What was his diet if you remember when you're was mine size? How fast did yours grow to the 6-8"?
He would eat basically anything. His favourites were blood worms and krill which is what I tried to get him to eat the majority of but he also ate the flakes and sinking pellets that went in for the other fish. I don't remember exactly how long it took for him to hit that size but I'm going to say about 2ish months.

****, that seems awfully quick. Everyone I've seen post say they grow quite slowly if feeding everyday to every other day.

****, that seems awfully quick. Everyone I've seen post say they grow quite slowly if feeding everyday to every other day.
Every fish is different but I find that most fish that are going to get very large grow quickly and then slow down once they hit a certain size. Another good example is Clown Loaches. They grow super quick when they are small but then growth comes to a standstill and it takes years and years for them to get very large. Is the BGK in a big enough tank that gets lots of water changes? That's another important factor.

Every fish is different but I find that most fish that are going to get very large grow quickly and then slow down once they hit a certain size. Another good example is Clown Loaches. They grow super quick when they are small but then growth comes to a standstill and it takes years and years for them to get very large. Is the BGK in a big enough tank that gets lots of water changes? That's another important factor.

It's currently in my 30 gallon, and yes, I change the water atleast every Sunday, occasionally sooner if there is leftover food on the floor or debris.

Back
Top Bottom