Feeding Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thalassomalunar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is kind of weird, but how do you feed your fish if you have lots of fish that eat different things, like if one type is carnivorous and one is herbivorous or you feed live food to one of your fish, then how do you make sure they eat the right thing? (by the way I do not have an aquarium at the moment but I am planning on starting one quite soon... and I am a beginner.)

Select feeding is hard but it can be done to an extent with a mixed tank. Feeding a high quality pellet or flake with a mix of proteins and veggies for a base is a good start.

I wouldn't worry much about it unless its a really specific fussy eater, ive heard stories about too much protein in strictly herbivorous fish can cause problems and in cichlids also increased aggression. Just feed a variety of food, a good flake and/or pellet, algae wafers, some frozen bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp with some fresh veggies mixed in. Most fish will enjoy a balance, what fish were you thinking of keeping or dont you know?

I agree. All of my fish get a mixture or different types of food. You can only control so much and if the fish are hungry they will eat what you give them. I use a lot of live foods and that helps to seperate the different types and sizes of fish that eat them. Example, if you have livebearers with angels, feed live brine shrimp followed directly with flake food. The larger angels will ignore the shrimp and the livebearers will ignore the flake food and chase shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom