feeding corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just been letting my corys eat whatever flake and brine shrimp that falls to the bottom of my tank. Should I be feeding them pellets that sink to the bottom or some other sort of special food? :oops:

I toss in sinking pellets for my cories, but the rams and tetras also munch on them. They also like algae wafers and peas.

My cories got huge off of community leftovers. However, I toss them a sinking algae wafer once in a while for a treat.

Corys are probably the most well-fed fish in the community tank. They can root out tiny morsels of food from places that the upper-dwellers seldom bother looking.

To provide a varied diet, toss in a sinking wafer (algae or shrimp) every so often - the other fish will get a piece of the action too. My corys love parboiled, shelled peas and lima beans.

I haven't tried it yet, but I hear that corys go absolutely nuts over live blackworms - sucking them up like spaghetti!

Corys will indeed love blackworms, and they also enjoy frozen bloodworms if you partially thaw a wad of them and allow that wad to sink. Some people use a shallow shell or some other kind of dish to contain the cory food for them, but mine are extremely good at finding what they need. They'll eat any kind of sinking pellet, including the veggie ones for plecos. It is easy to overfeed your tank and create problems when trying to feed corys specifically, so watch carefully and be sure they are getting it all.

Back
Top Bottom