Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
feeding.. do my fish need a new diet?

ok.. here is what I feed my fish (not all at once of course)

bio-blend:
tropical flakes - (for cichlids / danios)
cichlid pellets - (for cichlids / danios)

other:
Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes (for herbivores) - (for cichlids / danios)
frozen brine shrimp (once a week (for a treat)) (for cichlids / danios)
hikari algae disks (for the plecos)
sinking catfish pellets (for the pictus)

so someone stated in another forum that maybe my fish aren't getting proper nutrition, so I guess I must ask, is this a proper diet for them? I feed them twice a day, so the cichlid pellets get fed in the afternoon, and the tropical pellets get fed in the morning, these are also supplemented with the formula two flakes at every meal.

I drop two algae disks in every tuesday and friday, and the brine shrimp in every wednesday, and finally the catfish pellets I target feed to my pictus in the late evening.

so is this a proper diet? is there something else I should be feeding them. (my fish list is in my sig, this is for the 55gallon tank)

thanks,

thane

-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should try feeding vegs. The Cichlid's and Pleco's will LOVE Zuchinni and Peas. (that's the only two vegs I have tried so far) Clean the zuc very well, slice in half, then in thirds. Hang a piece by a veg clip inside the tank and eventually they will figure out that its food. It took mine about an hour to realize they can eat it. Now everytime I open the top of the tank, they swim to the veg clip thinking I am feeding zucs. To feed peas, put the desired amount in a bowl in the microwave (I added a little bit of water) and nuk for 30 seconds. Take them out and peel away the skin and feed the insides. I found that all you really have to do is squeeze the pea and the inside will pop out. Use frozen for a longer shelf life.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Here is an interesting article on feeding Africans, if you have not seen it already, written by Mark Elieson, a respected authority on African Cichlids. Based on my limited experience and what I have read on cichlid forums, a spirulina-based prepared food diet plus fresh veggies is optimal for mbuna, and is appropriate for the other fish you keep as well.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...n_cichlids.php
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
they all seem to be keeping their color, which i guess is a good thing, in some aspects, and they all seem to be bolt to get food, so I guess I am doing good with that part... so I think I will try the peas and pick up a zuchini at the store this afternoon.

thanks
-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

African's by nature will go bolt for food when it's added to the tank. It's best to suppliment their diet with vegs. The zuc can be left in the tank for several hours depending on the number and size fish that you have. When I put a slice on my tank the parrots will eat first, then when they are done, the others will start to come around to eating, then finally the pleco's will attach themselves and won't let go until they have broken a piece off. It's funny to watch. You can actually see the little sections that the pleco's have eaten.

When you feed the pea's, chances are they won't even make it to the bottom of the tank. I posted the questions a couple months ago about feeding veg's and was told that 6 peas was enough for 13 fish. When i threw in 6 pea's, only 6 fish got to eat. So i nuked some more and gave each of them a pea in addition to flake. It will take some experimenting to see what your fish will run after.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You are exactly right - my Africans eat an entire pea in one gulp, but since the peas are "shelled" the two halves generally come apart when they hit the water for two fish. They will eat a slice of zuchinni but it takes them a while and I generally remove it after a about a day and a half.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, diet, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com