Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face Feeding fish

I am new to this field, some days ago i start 10 gallon tank with 2 betta- 1m and 1F. and 2 koi. My problems is both these betta always sit under and wont come to feed. all food is consumed by kois. so what can i do? is there some small cage available so i can block koi for some time, or any solutions?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Koi are pond fish and can reach 3 feet. Bettas get to three inches. We all make mistakes especially with the help of indiscriminate LFS. I would trade the Carp for maybe some Neon Tetras or start a pond.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, rehome the koi ASAP! The bettas should not be in the same tank, they may kill each other. Either get another tank for one of them, rehome one or if you wanna keep the bettas and can't/do not want to get another tank, look into getting a tank divider. We are not trying to sound mean, we are here to help. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="Tetra1990"]Yeah, rehome the koi ASAP! The bettas should not be in the same tank, they may kill each other. Either get another tank for one of them, rehome one or if you wanna keep the bettas and can't/do not want to get another tank, look into getting a tank divider. We are not trying to sound mean, we are here to help. Good luck and welcome.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Seconded! The first thing that came to mind was, "Holy!" at the thought of 2 koi in a 10 gallon with 2 bettas. Those are expensive fish; either dig them a pond or take them back to the store, because they will die for sure if you keep them in that tank.

Mama to 3 Trili Corys
Josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnraj
I am new to this field, some days ago i start 10 gallon tank with 2 betta- 1m and 1F. and 2 koi. My problems is both these betta always sit under and wont come to feed. all food is consumed by kois. so what can i do? is there some small cage available so i can block koi for some time, or any solutions?
Welcome to AA johnraj.
Unfortunately you have received some poor stocking advise in regards to your 10g tank. As said above koi are pond fish and can be expected to reach 3 foot in length if kept in the correct conditions. They don't belong in home aquaria for this reason. They are greedy, messy fish that produce larges amounts of waste. There really is no solution other than rehousing them in a pond or returning them to the store.
Bettas are ideal for 10g tanks but should not be kept together, even if of the opposite sex. A solution to this problem would be to purchase a divider to keep them segregated.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sounds cool to me, where are u located?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
Koi are pond fish and can reach 3 feet. Bettas get to three inches. We all make mistakes especially with the help of indiscriminate LFS. I would trade the Carp for maybe some Neon Tetras or start a pond.
sounds cool to me, where r u located?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnraj View Post
sounds cool to me, where r u located?
I think ezy was just making a suggestion, not offering a trade, but I could be wrong

In a new tank with that many fish I"d also be worrying about ammonia levels. Do daily water changes of at least 50% if you don't have a test kit. Rehome the goldies ASAP. Only keep one betta or else they'll kill each other, or get a divider for the tank. Also goldies are coldwater and bettas are tropical; they need different temperatures. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Tags
feeding, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com