Feeding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnraj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this field, some days ago i start 10 gallon tank with 2 betta- 1m and 1F. and 2 koi. My problems is both these betta always sit under and wont come to feed. all food is consumed by kois. so what can i do? is there some small cage available so i can block koi for some time, or any solutions?

Koi are pond fish and can reach 3 feet. Bettas get to three inches. We all make mistakes especially with the help of indiscriminate LFS. I would trade the Carp for maybe some Neon Tetras or start a pond.

Yeah, rehome the koi ASAP! The bettas should not be in the same tank, they may kill each other. Either get another tank for one of them, rehome one or if you wanna keep the bettas and can't/do not want to get another tank, look into getting a tank divider. We are not trying to sound mean, we are here to help. Good luck.

Tetra1990 said:
Yeah, rehome the koi ASAP! The bettas should not be in the same tank, they may kill each other. Either get another tank for one of them, rehome one or if you wanna keep the bettas and can't/do not want to get another tank, look into getting a tank divider. We are not trying to sound mean, we are here to help. Good luck and welcome.

Seconded! The first thing that came to mind was, "Holy!" at the thought of 2 koi in a 10 gallon with 2 bettas. Those are expensive fish; either dig them a pond or take them back to the store, because they will die for sure if you keep them in that tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
johnraj said:
I am new to this field, some days ago i start 10 gallon tank with 2 betta- 1m and 1F. and 2 koi. My problems is both these betta always sit under and wont come to feed. all food is consumed by kois. so what can i do? is there some small cage available so i can block koi for some time, or any solutions?

Welcome to AA johnraj.
Unfortunately you have received some poor stocking advise in regards to your 10g tank. As said above koi are pond fish and can be expected to reach 3 foot in length if kept in the correct conditions. They don't belong in home aquaria for this reason. They are greedy, messy fish that produce larges amounts of waste. There really is no solution other than rehousing them in a pond or returning them to the store.
Bettas are ideal for 10g tanks but should not be kept together, even if of the opposite sex. A solution to this problem would be to purchase a divider to keep them segregated.

Koi are pond fish and can reach 3 feet. Bettas get to three inches. We all make mistakes especially with the help of indiscriminate LFS. I would trade the Carp for maybe some Neon Tetras or start a pond.

sounds cool to me, where r u located?

sounds cool to me, where r u located?

I think ezy was just making a suggestion, not offering a trade, but I could be wrong ;)

In a new tank with that many fish I"d also be worrying about ammonia levels. Do daily water changes of at least 50% if you don't have a test kit. Rehome the goldies ASAP. Only keep one betta or else they'll kill each other, or get a divider for the tank. Also goldies are coldwater and bettas are tropical; they need different temperatures. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom