Feeding fish live food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
Everything I read says if you want healthy fish you have to feed them live food (especially fish like freshwater angels). Can anyone give me some advice on some live foods that are easy to grow and harvest. Maybe some hints on how to do it also. Not sure if it will be practical for me but I would like to see what some people are doing. Thanks

i would try brine shrimp. it kinda depends how big they are. also flake food and frozen bloodworms would be fine

I don't think live food is a must if you give them a high quality flake, and mix it up with shrimp pellets, and bloodworms, and stuff like that.

But I was thinking about breeding shrimp and snails in a extra ten gallon I have to use as feeders. I have severums, uaru, angel, and full grown gourami, clown loaches and striatia botia and they love eating baby shrimps and snails.

I used to breed live red riggler worms. 75% compost 25% shedded newspaper. The only drawback is that I had to throw in some banana peels and leftover apples, which eventually rots. Then I have to go dig it out of the compost/newspaper. It was too disgusting, so I stopped breeding them.

If you have bigger fish, you can breed red cherry shrimps. Before giving the shrimps to your fish, then gut-load a few shrimps with nutrious food. Some people like gut-loading them with bloodworms and flakes.

Blackworms are very popular feeder, but I never looked into them.

Live food is indeed more nutrious (worms/snails/brine shrimp), except live feeder shrimps (ie red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimps) since you need to gut-load them.

Back
Top Bottom