Feeding fish on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingclever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend going on vacation who has 2 day old mollies, any ideas on what she should do? She will be gone for five days, I was think vacation feeders but can 2 day olds eat that?

When You Go Away

Hello Some...

My research into the subject of vacations is that tropical fish can go without food for two weeks with no problem. I feed them well for a week or two prior to leaving, but I go back to normal feeding a couple of days before.

I also do my standard 50 percent water change just before leaving. While I'm gone, if my backup is available to come check on the tanks, then fine. If not, that's okay too.

One rule is, don't let someone else feed your fish. That way, you don't risk the fish being overfed and you come home to a very clean tank.

B

Is your friend local to you? Does she trust you to go in her house, or perhaps keep them at your place while she's gone? Typically, I wouldn't worry aboutl eaving fish for a week or so, but with fry, they really need regular feedings... I've found that out all too well.

Unfortunately she lives far. I was thinking of just dropping in some algae disks as that's what I've done for mine. Thoughts?

Do Vacation feeders work well? I was just wondering because I plan on going out of town in a few weeks and ive seen them but don't know if they work as they say on the box...

i would think automatic feeder would be the best too so you can load it up with food small enough for the fry

Back
Top Bottom