Feeding fish q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be getting 8 panda Cory's here within the next couple of weeks. I was wondering what to feed these guys.
I have a 60 gallon tank. So plenty of room for them.
I was thinking about using nls fis food for all my fish so ...

Any suggestions help.

Mine love love love algae wafers best of all. Next after that is a spirulina based flake food. They also eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.

LyndaB said:
Mine love love love algae wafers best of all. Next after that is a spirulina based flake food. They also eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.

Thanks for your input.

I was reading on another site that they are to eat a meaty wafer and not the algae type. But if yours like them then I might get both to try out. Do you know if NLS Carries that type? Or what brand do you use ?

LyndaB said:
Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm not at home so can't look, but I think it might be Hikari?

Hikari has spiralina wafers at an affordable price. My fish act like piranhas over them. I would guess one wafer to feed all if them

I feed my fish every other day. Corys are scavengers, so they have no issue with this schedule.

Because I keep mine with assassin snails and RCS, I drop in 2 algae wafers. I break them up first. All of the species in that tank love them.

I'd use 2 wafers for 8 corys, feeding every other day.

LyndaB said:
I feed my fish every other day. Corys are scavengers, so they have no issue with this schedule.

Because I keep mine with assassin snails and RCS, I drop in 2 algae wafers. I break them up first. All of the species in that tank love them.

I'd use 2 wafers for 8 corys, feeding every other day.

Wow okay. Such confusion. Everyones feeding schedules are different I suppose. Most people say to feed every day twice a day. And as far as corys they should have one wafer a piece. I think that's a little over kill. I've read to start with one wafer and see how they do. Then add another if they eat it fast and so on until they are full and remove any leftovers. What do you think about this idea ?

Stephen Rollins said:
Wow okay. Such confusion. Everyones feeding schedules are different I suppose. Most people say to feed every day twice a day. And as far as corys they should have one wafer a piece. I think that's a little over kill. I've read to start with one wafer and see how they do. Then add another if they eat it fast and so on until they are full and remove any leftovers. What do you think about this idea ?

Sorry I meant one wafer for the whole stock to share. Should've been more clear.

Fishkeeping is a very opinionated field.

Their stomach is roughly the size of 1 eye. If you feed each one their own wafer twice a day, at some point I would think they would literally explode. Also, as that excess amount of wafers dissolve, they will only serve to foul your tank and raise your nitrate level, along with leaving additional detritus on the substrate. All that means unhealthy fish and more maintenance for you.

I find that feeding every other day keeps my tanks clean, my fish healthy and my filter running properly.

Fry need to be fed a few times daily, but every other species I've ever had has done very well on the every other day schedule.

LyndaB said:
Fishkeeping is a very opinionated field.

Their stomach is roughly the size of 1 eye. If you feed each one their own wafer twice a day, at some point I would think they would literally explode. Also, as that excess amount of wafers dissolve, they will only serve to foul your tank and raise your nitrate level, along with leaving additional detritus on the substrate. All that means unhealthy fish and more maintenance for you.

I find that feeding every other day keeps my tanks clean, my fish healthy and my filter running properly.

Fry need to be fed a few times daily, but every other species I've ever had has done very well on the every other day schedule.

That helps a lot thanks for your help :). Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom