Feeding fish while on vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how do some of you feed your fish when your gone for multiple days?

It all depends on how long you are away. Adult fish are capable of not being fed for multiple days at a time.

They will be fine not being fed for 3 days. Just feed them well and do a water change before you go.
If you ever leave for longer the best option is getting someone you trust to feed them.

Or buy an automatic feeder. They're like fifteen dollars on Amazon. The one I got, I can set it to feed them up to five intervals a day, which is more than you need.

malfist said:
Or buy an automatic feeder. They're like fifteen dollars on Amazon. The one I got, I can set it to feed them up to five intervals a day, which is more than you need.

I wouldn't use feeder just feed them real good after you leave. The tablets I tried they ate it once I got done packing. Automatic feeders never worked for since I went cheap the more expensive ones are worth it :D

Fishie said:
I wouldn't use feeder just feed them real good after you leave. The tablets I tried they ate it once I got done packing. Automatic feeders never worked for since I went cheap the more expensive ones are worth it :D

I'm not talking about the blocks of food, they destroy the chemical balance in your tank. I'm talking about feeders you put food in and set above your tank and it gives out food on a schedule.

malfist said:
I'm not talking about the blocks of food, they destroy the chemical balance in your tank. I'm talking about feeders you put food in and set above your tank and it gives out food on a schedule.

I know I just put the blocks in their in case someone said it but automatic feeders are better expensive for me.

As everyone else has said, your fish should be fine for three days. For a longer trip, I use a 7-day pill box, and I premeasure the amount of food I want my fish to have each day. My husband is willing to feed them, but he doesn't know anything about how much to give them. The pre-measured food prevents overfeeding.

When I'm gone for 3-4 days I use feeding pyramids. They have food in a solid dissolvable solution that releases food gradually for 3 days. Just make sure to do about 50-60% water change when you get back as IME they can make the water look cloudy on the 3-4 day

Back
Top Bottom