Feeding Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a stupid question about feeding free dried brine shrimp. I was wondering how you feed it to your fish. Do you just drop in the big 'clumps' of it or do you roll it around in your fingers to break it up? Just wondering if one way is better than the other.

I use the lozenges, instead of the big bricks. I put one in a cup of water from the aquarium, swirl it around until it disolves (very quickly), then pour it into the tank a little at a time. I wait for them to eat everything before I pour more in.

I do this with a plastic "dixie" cup, so that I can take the unused portion, drain most of the water, and put it in the freezer. Next time I feed them, I just add some aquarium water, wait for them to thaw, and repeat the process. Very little waste, and no overfeeding.

I also add water to the cubes and feed to the tank. I don't refreeze it though. I don't trust refreezing anything.

Oops, sorry - misread the title. Thought they were talking about frozen, not freeze dried.

For freeze dried food, I just pick apart the cube and drop the bits into the water a little at a time.

i dont use freeze dried anything anymore, because frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are cheaper per ounce.

and what sounds better to you, a fresh steak, or a freeze dried steak?

I feed mine both, but to answer your question I usually don't throw an entire cube in. My fish like the freeze dried stuff, but it seems messy in the water. I usually will give mine about a 1/3 of a cube and some flakes with it. I don't break them up, I let the barbs do that. :D

hc8719 said:
i dont use freeze dried anything anymore, because frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are cheaper per ounce.

and what sounds better to you, a fresh steak, or a freeze dried steak?

Isn't the listed per-ounce cost useless because freeze-dried food has no water and frozen food is ... well, I don't know, but maybe around 90% water?

I mean, if it's actually cheaper then frozen definitely would be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom