Feeding habits of new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ender

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a 46gal bow after doing a fishless cycle (dosing at about 5-6ppm). My wife was a little impatient and wanted to fully stock it so I gave-in and bought 8 head and tailight tetras, 3 dwarf goriamis, and 8 rummy nose tetras and then drip acclimated them into the tank. I'm worried about the rummy noses right now. They are eating almost nothing. When the lights are on in the tank they school at the very bottom of the tank...they'll come up to about mid tank when the lights go off and the lunars come on (after about an hour). During feedings the goriamis and H&Ts eat their fill but the rummy noses never come up. The other fish do not seem mean to the rummy noses (infact i've seen a couple of the H&Ts "forget" what school they belong to and hang out with the rummy noses at the bottom of the tank for about an hour without anyone minding) and the rummy noses are out in the open not in a hiding spot.

My water params are normal (nitrates 10ppm; chlorine, ammonia and nitrites 0; ph 7.8; water is soft...no chems in the tank except dechlor and then stress coat when the fish were added) and the rummy noses don't seem stressed but I'm worried that they are going to starve. We've had them for three days and I think the whole school has had about as much to eat as one H&T during one feeding. When I feed the food is gone in about 90 seconds. I've tried overfeeding a bit to get some to drop to the bottom but my H&Ts are pigs. The only way I've gotten the rummy noses food is a third feeding an hour or two after lights out.

I'm using Tetramin Pro tropical crisps. Should I try some sort of sinking food or a freeze-dried food? I ordered freeze-dried mysis and some vitamin supplements but they havn't arrived yet. But the LFS sells some that I could pick-up if it would start them feeding.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

id recommend a baister or some long tube that you could put frozen foods to the bottom for them. if the other fish are eating it all, take the food directly to where you want it to go. Im sure there are better options out there but thats what id try. Also reachearch if they are notcturnal or not. That may play a part on the feeding cycle they have.

Back
Top Bottom