Feeding Harlequin Rasboras ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are my Harlequin Rasboras eating ?

I have a 10 gal fully cycled planted tank with presently 3 Harlequin Rasboras . I do want to get one more. This is in addition to a small school of neon tetras, a couple of Cory cats, etc

The Neons are voracious eaters for the variety of foods that I feed them.... flakes, Blood Worms, Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, etc

The Rasboras used to eat the same food also right along with the Tetras.
However, in the last few weeks i have not seen the Rasboras eat a single thing.

Their color is excellent, they are swimming and schooling normally.
They are obviously eating something but what?

Water parameters are normal.
Plants are mainly.... Anachiris, Hornwort, Frogbit

After further researching , it seems that Harlequin Rasboras do eat detritus plant matter

With my many "Hornwort", and "Anachiris" plants, there is ample detritus plant matter floating around
Most of it gets filtered out but some is not and this is what the Rasboras are evidently eating.... and really thriving on.
They seem to like this more than the various foods I feed the Tetras or, are so well fed with the detritus plant matter, that they have no room for anything else..

I believe that I have solved to issue.
Since the Neons are voracious eaters it does not matter where in the tank (looking down at it) that any food is inserted.

However the Rasboras seem to like their food in about the middle of the tank ...again, looking down at it.
Also the Rasboras seem to like more of less larger pieces of food. than you would think, given their small mouths
I discovered this by accident when I placed some small pieces of freeze dried brine shrimp in the middle and the Rasboras quickly gobbed it up.

So unlike the Tetras the Rasboras seem to be somewhat "picky" eaters

I scoop some water in s small container then add flakes. Swish it around until the flakes have soaked in the water then dump. The flakes will hit the middle fairly quickly and the neons will likely be waiting near the top for surface flakes. This method also reduces bloating after eating dry food that swells in the stomach.

Back
Top Bottom