feeding live brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I decided to buy some live adult brine shrimp from my lfs today, and just want to double check how to feed it. I know they are in saltwater right now, so I should net the amount that I want, rinse them in tankwater, then feed, as to not mix the saltwater with my FW tanks, right? Also, how long will the shrimp live in the bag, or should I plan to feed it all tonight? (it all being eaten tonight is NOT a problem. I have 9 tanks and probably close to 100 fish)

I would just pour them directly into the tank. You'll be adding such a small amount of salt that you need not worry.

Adult brine shrimp are wonderful treat for fish. Although they don't contain much protein, the shell is an excellent source of roughage, and fish delight in catching them. Because they live in such salty water, they don't contain any of the parasites associated with feeding other live foods.

I store any unused portions in the fridge. A few days is all they will keep.

I feed brine shrimp with a turkey baster. Works for me. :) I agree with Brian, no need to rinse them off. Mine keep a few days as well, but I don't refrigerate them. Best to feed them as soon as possible. I usually just feed half to my fw tank, half to my sw tank for 2 nights on 1 cup of brine shrimp and that works good for me.

I put mine in a goldfish bowl with an aerator, and add about 1 cup of freshwater per day to the mix. keeps them about 5 days

Back
Top Bottom