Feeding multiple species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted about this a little while back, when I had some guppies and black skirts. The guppies died after about 2 weeks, for various reasons but it didn't help that during the entire time I don't think they ate very much.

We have the same issue now we have a shoal of rummy nosed tetras in there. While they are quicker than the guppies they are still comprehensively out competed for food by the black skirts, who will eat everything you put into the tank within the space of a few seconds before the rummys even realise what's going on.

I fear for the rummys going the same way as the guppies as obviously if they don't get fed they'll start getting weaker, thus even less able to feed and susceptible to problems :(

We've tried using Mini pellets, flakes and bloodworms, but the result is always the same, the black skirts gobble them up immediately leaving nothing for the other tank inhabitants.

Could we just try putting way more food in? I guess that might pollute the water.

Any ideas?!

With a ~15gallon tank you should be able to feed the skirts on one side and maybe sink some flakes on the other side for the rummies. I've never had problems with fish not getting enough food. I've kept Angels, neon and diamond tetras and guppies in the same tank and they all got their fair share of flake food.

You are right, overfeeding will just cause more problems. You do not want to do that.

Just try feeding on both sides of the tank. My blackskirts are very aggressive at feeding time but usually go to the side I feed at and stay within that area do try feeding them on one side and the others on the other side. They'll get used to it and go there for feeding time always.

Back
Top Bottom