Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Feeding my Bamboo Shrimp

So I was wondering what/how y'all fed your bamboo shrimp or and other filter feeding shrimp. The first thing that came to my mind is hikari first bites, think that'd work? Or what?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
nedge85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 145
I was gonna start a shrimp feeding question, so two birds with one stone if answered
__________________

__________________
nedge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
mysticeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 374
It all depends in the age of the shark. If they are babies feed them mysis, silversiders and black tiger shrimps. As they get older around 1ft you can start adding scallops and squid to their diet.
__________________
mysticeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
nedge85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticeel
It all depends in the age of the shark. If they are babies feed them mysis, silversiders and black tiger shrimps. As they get older around 1ft you can start adding scallops and squid to their diet.
This is about feeding shrimp. Not feeding shrimp to sharks
__________________
nedge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
mysticeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 374
My bad ^^ sorry
__________________
mysticeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
mysticeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedge85

This is about feeding shrimp. Not feeding shrimp to sharks
Oops :P I just feed my shrimps algae pellets and fish flakes and they all seemed to thrive. They partially like the fish flakes.
__________________
mysticeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Vircomore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 534
I have a Bamboo shrimp and I would agree that Hikari First Bites is a viable option as long as you don't feed it too often.

There really is no replacement for just having a well-established tank of at least 25-30 gallons with live plants though - because ultimately it will be the phytoplankton and microalgaes that grow in an established tank that will keep a Bamboo Shrimp alive.

Bamboo shrimp cannot reliably eat algae wafers or other things fed to "regular" shrimp, because it is very hard for them to pick up food once it is on the ground.
__________________
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." -Confucius

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedge85 View Post
This is about feeding shrimp. Not feeding shrimp to sharks
I'm sorry, but that was pretty funny......

Anywho, I don't have bamboo shrimp, but I do have amanos, ghosts and RCS. They basically eat anything they get their little paws on. I don't have a food that I specifically pick out for them as they are all in community tanks. But I've watched both my ghosts and amanos scamper away holding entire algae wafers. Strong little suckers.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HalfMoon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,004
Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
First bites are a great food for filter feeding shrimp like bamboo and vampire.
I have a friend who doused the tank with insuforia once a week and his shrimp are fairly large and are never digging in his substrate for food. They seem fat and happy,
__________________
My 90 Gal Reef Build
HalfMoon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
Well I purchased my first bamboo shrimp a few weeks back and I think its just my luck that I have a picky eater. When i first noticed him picking at the gravel i got nervous.

I tried crushed flake food, he ignored it. Then I tried Hikari First Bites, he didn't care for it. Finally I tried crushed algae wafers and he responded somewhat but i wasnt sure if it was that or because he was already in his favorite spot fan feeding.

All in all he seems to be doing well. He has already molted and has a nice bright red color. I've even noticed him simultaneously filter feeding and scraping the top of his favorite perch!!

His favorite spot is on top of a rock structure under the filter outflow. There are small patches of brown and green algae growing on it so I guess he likes to graze on that. There is plenty of current in the tank (55 gal) and its planted with water sprite.

Well this is my experience with him so far even though i would rather him fan feed exclusively. But he seems happy enough.
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Cleggat's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 501
Mine seems to enjoy any crushed up fish food; algae wafers, pellets, bloodworms etc. I grind it up then I feed it to him with a pipette right up close and he is constantly pulling his fans back in to eat the food.
__________________
Keep your friends close, but keep your anemones closer.


Cleggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid76
Well I purchased my first bamboo shrimp a few weeks back and I think its just my luck that I have a picky eater. When i first noticed him picking at the gravel i got nervous.

I tried crushed flake food, he ignored it. Then I tried Hikari First Bites, he didn't care for it. Finally I tried crushed algae wafers and he responded somewhat but i wasnt sure if it was that or because he was already in his favorite spot fan feeding.

All in all he seems to be doing well. He has already molted and has a nice bright red color. I've even noticed him simultaneously filter feeding and scraping the top of his favorite perch!!

His favorite spot is on top of a rock structure under the filter outflow. There are small patches of brown and green algae growing on it so I guess he likes to graze on that. There is plenty of current in the tank (55 gal) and its planted with water sprite.

Well this is my experience with him so far even though i would rather him fan feed exclusively. But he seems happy enough.
Good to hear, mine lasted about 2 months, molted twice, all seemed well, then one morning he was almost pure white, next morning he was dead.. Hope you have better luck!!
__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleggat View Post
Mine seems to enjoy any crushed up fish food; algae wafers, pellets, bloodworms etc. I grind it up then I feed it to him with a pipette right up close and he is constantly pulling his fans back in to eat the food.
Yeah, I've tried the pipette method and he shies away from it. But the swordtails go nuts over it. They even recognize it now!
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Good to hear, mine lasted about 2 months, molted twice, all seemed well, then one morning he was almost pure white, next morning he was dead.. Hope you have better luck!!
Unfortunately from what I've read on these shrimp because they are almost entirely wild caught there is no telling how old he was when you got him. Hopefully he enjoyed his days in your tank!!
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid76 View Post
Unfortunately from what I've read on these shrimp because they are almost entirely wild caught there is no telling how old he was when you got him. Hopefully he enjoyed his days in your tank!!
Yep. Thats what I have read too. They do not have super long lifespans in the first place, and you don't know how old they are when you purchse them. I have had mine last for various amounts of time, a year was the longest. But I have bought all mine when they were pretty large, so I am guessing they were not on the young end.
Mine mostly just sat in the current and did fine. I fed them crushed flakes sometimes and they were fine with that. I had to do a current test foirst with bigger bits of flakes let into the water so I could visibly track them. Then, I would put crushed flakes in a spot where I knew the current would take them by the feeding shrimp. Some of mine never got used to the pipette, so I had to get creative. Lol.
__________________

__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bamboo, bamboo shrimp, feeding, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby brine shrimp feeding ocminpin Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 15 09-30-2011 02:40 PM
Which are bigger ghost or bamboo shrimp? skiweeangel Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 08-25-2011 04:06 PM
bamboo shrimp questions tmdavies Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 08-11-2011 02:26 PM
feeding freeze dried brine shrimp? brian7 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 07-27-2011 07:53 PM
Bamboo shrimp dianel64 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 07-06-2011 07:51 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.