feeding my pleco zuccini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobthePlec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
might sound stupid, but id like to give my pleco some zuccini, but i have nothing but twist ties or hair elastics(no metal) to tie the zuccini down with...any suggestions??

I have a pitbull pleco, and he loves zucchini! I get a small zucchini and cut it about the size of a quarter, then cut that in half (he's very small -- you could give a little more if your pleco is big or you have more than one). I use a long pair of tweezers and wedge the zucchini into the gravel. Or you could use a rubberband to attach it to a rock or other decoration. A veggie clip could be used also -- it's a clip with a suction cup on it; you stick it on the tank wall. I have also read that people use one of those ceramic noodle filter media. They tie or pierce the food with a fishing line and string the noodle through, which sinks the food. Leave a piece of the line sticking out of the tank and you can easily pull it up later.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I ended up using my brandnew metal-less hair elastic to tie down the piece of zuccini. I hope he likes it! 8)

you could also tuck the zucchini under a rock or piece of wood. That should hold it down faily well too.

I'm sure your pleco will like the zucchini! My pleco pushed the slice around the tank as he ate. The zucchini ran into the tank wall, and he was still trying to swim forward. The zucchini ended up flipping on top of him and then flipping him over because he wouldn't let go! So there he was, lying on his back with the zucchini on top of him, and I could see through the zucchini that he was still munching it!

lol..sounds too funny...my pleco amuses me often lately ( i have to get out more!!)
:lol:

I'm hoping that he likes the food...doesn't seem to show much interest in anything else i feed the fish...likes his driftwood though rarely leaves it :D

I just rubberband my pleco's zuchinni to a shard of flower pot.
I used to microwave the zuchinni for a minute or so before putting in but I have come to think that they enjoy chewing the raw zuchinni more.
The only downside of feeding them zuchinni I can see is the great quantity of green pooh produced. I reckon that every inch of pleco equals about an hour of digestion. Jeff

I invested in a vegi clip. It holds the vegis and suctions onto the glass. Works great!

Doh, I'm late with my post!

Anyhoo, my plecos would go nuts for zucchini and squash. IMHO there's no need to tie it down with anything. Just cut a slice off, cut that into 2 half moon slices, then drop them in. My 2 beasts used to mosey up to the top of the water and latch on to the pieces. Heck, they would even take it from my hand!

I just dropped it in the top and my plecos did fine. They just grabbed on and ate until it was gone.

It was one way to get them out in the open to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom