feeding of dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 dwarf puffers, in with 5 rainbow fish, in a 29g. as long as the puffers are fed the rainbow's fins are relatively safe - I know, not ideal tankmates. At this time I have been feeding the puffers red ramshorn snails, and brine shrimp. The puffers usually all get a belly full of the shrimp once a day (expanded belly) and actively hunt and eat the snails (I usually put 4 or 5 snails in nightly or every other night, about 1/4" each, and they dont last long), though of course the rainbow get most of the shrimp. I have also been feeding the rainbow flake, freeze-dried bloodworm, and dried tubiflex, all of which the puffers, that I have seen anyways, want no part of.

I was wondering and concerned that the snails and brine may not be enough for the puffers, especially as I dont see nor expect them to eat the other food, and knowing the brine is only there to fill them and not nutritional. and thoughts and suggestions on feeding them anything additional (if needed) and something that wont be devoured by the rainbow (if possible) would be welcomed.

Patrick

you might invest in a long syringe and use bloodworms... by using the syring you can aim the food closer to the bottom of the tank near the puffers. My puffer LOVES bloodworms. I don't think the rainbows will ignore bloodworms, but they're easy to squirt out of the syringe, and a welcome treat.
Sounds to me like they get plenty of food now, though- I think you're doing great! :D

thanks alot. I am sure they are getting "plenty", especially as their little bellys turn "pot-bellied" after a few brine shrimp. I am just concerned about getting well-rounded food sources. would the brine and snails be sufficient nutritionally?

Brine shrimp are not very nutritious, but make a wonderful treat, and are also good for coaxing a fish to eat that is reluctant. If the puffers are getting good snail meals then that might fit the bill, but a more varied diet will be better for them. Mine used to adore frozen bloodworms (what fish doesn't?) but it is hard to feed BW when you have other fish in the tank, since dwarf puffers are not really all that fast compared to some other fish.

Blackworms would also be relished as well.

Most of us who have dwarfs, use bloodworms and snails as their staple foods. It's always best to add variety to their diet. I give brine shrimp, tubifex, krill, plankton, and mussel.

kim

OK, so as long as they are eating the snails and brine, they should be OK? They "may" be eating some of the dried bloodworms and tubiflex that I am also adding to the tank, I just havent seen it myself. They dont seem to take alot of notice in those. For that matter, they also ignore any brine that isnt alive or at least moving. maybe that's a good sign that they arent too hungry? I will try some of the krill this week and see how that goes.

Often dwarf puffers won't eat anything that is not alive. Not unusual. Mine never would touch freeze dried anything, though I know many of them will eat FD, but once I started them on live adult brine, they would eat frozen worms. I used the brine as a treat only.

I would give frozen bloodworms a try.

Since brine shrimp aren't that nutritious, I wouldn't use them as a staple food. Their main diet is bloodworms and snails.

Kim

Feeding them brine shrimp, is like feeding them cereal--compared to live/frozen worms, which is like feeding them steak. I never waste my $$$ on brine shrimp. Freeze-dried plankton/krill will work too & is usually vitamen enhanced.

I just picked up a cute little dwarf puffer yesterday.
I haven't seen him eat yet but hopefully keeping him fed shouldn't be too much of a problem.
He seems, however, to be buffeted around quite a bit by the filter flow. But by the same token, it's easy for him (or her) to escape the the flow if he or she wants to. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom