Feeding Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ansomnia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wondering what everyone uses to feed platys. Can I get the flakes from Walmart and expect my platies and guppys to thrive?

Do you buy food mixes that people have concocted at home to sell?

What brand do you get?

Is it true that quality effects color?

I have hear that it does and doesn't umm I'm not sure I'll have to look

Be careful with the bloodworms. You meed to grind them up with a pestle and mortar and then soak them in water from your tank for at least ten minutes and then feed peas the following day (cooked, removed from the shell, and mashed) because bloodworms are constipating and peas will keep the fish from getting bloat. I wish someone would make bloodworm flakes. Also, I read that you should treat with aquarisol to prevent ich before feeding frozen brine shrimp, but I couldn't aquarisol so now my aquarium is on lockdown and has the blackout trash bag around it. Hope that and not feeding and and increased temp and Ick Attack will kill the ich and not the cories. Hope my mistakes help your platies. They are such personable fish.

All live bearers are onmivores. They need plant matter in their diet about 50% of the time to thrive. They LOVE nibbling around on live stem plants like cabomba or myrio.You should get a flake for vegetarians or algae disks and feed them that about every other feeding. There is a frozen food called Emerald Blend or Emerald something that they really thrive on. OS.

Yes, they love to nibble on my water sprite. When I bought it, the woman at the lfs said is grows like a weed and I'd be throwing it out by the handful. But my platies love it and I had to buy more. I only have four platies!

Hello Ans...

"Livebearers" will do well with a variety of frozen foods. These are the most nutritious, because they contain no additives. It's just the frozen animal and water. Flaked foods have "man made" chemicals added to extend the shelf life of the product. Look at the contents. There will be a lot of fancy names and such. If I don't know the contents, I pass on the product. Feed the foods with a short, understandable list of ingredients and your fish will be healthy.

B

I use nutrafin tropical flakes( with the angel fish on it) and bloodworms.

I feed them New Life Spectrum Tropical Flakes with garlic, brought out the colors on them and all my other fish amazing

Back
Top Bottom