Feeding Pygmy Cories/ Breeding them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well so I bought some pygmy cories... (they were mislabeled as hastatus but I got them for 2 dollars each anyways so whatever) I have 6 of them and I've had them for about a week. I'm pretty sure I still have at least 5 since they're always hidden amongst my plants. How can I be sure they're getting enough to eat? I assume they are because their whiskers have gotten really long and their bellies are always round (signs of a happy cat)...

Does anyone feed theirs anything special?

Also how fast do these guys go at it? As I understand cories breed like rabbits...I'm really excited to get a colony of these guys going (~20 individuals hopefully) how long do you guys think that'll take?

I had pygmy cories for several months (I was just starting out so I had some water problems that harmed them so I have none now) I only fed them flake food at first. I simply overfed my other fish so some would sink to the bottom. Later I started using algae tablets for my ottos and cories love them. I would recomend the algae tabs over flake food though because we now have julii cories (Day 2 so the are still recovering from the petstore) and they go nuts for algae tabs! I never had any breed unfortunatly (my guppies woulda eaten the fry anyway) Try seriously fish. They have breeding info..
What kind of tankmates?

Just tetras...I'm not too worried about stuff being eaten. There is not a square centimeter of space not covered by plants in my tank. I also have lots of places to rear babies in if need be. I'm just wondering what people feed them. My cories don't seem to care for algae tabs. And in a few hours they're swarmed by snails anyways.

Just tetras...I'm not too worried about stuff being eaten. There is not a square centimeter of space not covered by plants in my tank. I also have lots of places to rear babies in if need be. I'm just wondering what people feed them. My cories don't seem to care for algae tabs. And in a few hours they're swarmed by snails anyways.
Oh... Well I would just overfeed the tetras a lil and the cories will do what they were designed to do! Mine fended for themselves well. May I suggest the largest possible school though! 1) they are happier and imo cooler to watch in large schools 2) Ive read they are easier to breed in large schools (the sexing issue) From my understanding they will spawn if you do a water change with cooler water. I cant confirm that though

I feed pellet meaning over feeding is hard to do...the little bits fall between the cracks. I'll just leave half an algae stick out for them every other night...Hopefully they can find it before the snails

I feed pellet meaning over feeding is hard to do...the little bits fall between the cracks. I'll just leave half an algae stick out for them every other night...Hopefully they can find it before the snails
You can check other resources too. I may have been wrong... I fed my flakes and they did fine.

Back
Top Bottom