Feeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I

im4god2

Hi,

I have a tank just started on New Year's Day. Here are the statistics:

10 gal
78 degrees
ammonia: 6
nitrite: .25
nitrate: 5

(6) Zebra danios
(2) Red/Blue Columbian Tetras
(2) Albino Corys
(1) Otocinclus (new as of 2 days ago, due to a little algae)

The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have all moved in the normal cycling pattern, although ammonia is hovering around 5-6.

Here's my question: The danios are basically "pigs". They take most of what I feed, including flakes, shrimp pellets, bloodworms, and even have a party with algae wafers. I feed the flakes until the surface is clean after 5 minutes. The corys clean up the bottom, but I'm concerned about the Tetras. It seems like they're just getting a few flakes or bloodworms.

Should I be feeding more/less/differently ?

Thanks !

Are you sure your test kit is correct?

Ammonia of 6.0 is deadly...

If this is a true reading I would do an immediate 50% water change and halt feedings for at least 3 days. At that time do another 50% water change and then only feed 1 time a day.

have you used any kind of ammonia lock product like aminolock?

6 is astronomical. I didn't let my cycling tank get past 2 and that was rarely. Even my cycling tank is normally .5 to 1. Nitrate of 5 is really high too. You need to do a water change immediately.

Update

Hi - thanks for the replies.

I've done 20% water changes the last three days, and used some ammonia "absorber" chemical. I stopped feeding as of yesterday morning. The ammonia is now 1. :lol:

I just read where a nitrate level of 30 is OK, but 120 is toxic (when ammonia and nitrites are 0). :?:

I also added an air pump and air stone, as I read that more oxygen helps the bacteria grow. Other people have said more oxygen just helps the fish breathe in the bad water.

Just sign me - "Totally Confused" :cry:

Back
Top Bottom