Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

feeding question

I have 4 angels, 7 discus, 4 black skirts, 3 bleeding hearts, 3 rope fish, 2 kuhli loaches, and 2 BN plecos. We feed them frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. How much or how often would you recommend feeding them, because right now my dad is feeding quite a lot and he doesn't seem to believe that he is overfeeding. So maybe your input will persuade him.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

And yes I know I'm overstocked. Another reason I'd like to not overfeed lol. Any advice appreciated

Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I feed frozen brine shrimp weekly (Sat) then pellets and or flakes just about every other day, but sometimes everyday. So to answer your question, id feed them weekly.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only once a week?? They eat a lot
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

I'd cut back on the bloodworms and brine shrimp and save them as treats, and for your daily feeding switch to a high quality pellet or flake. NLS and omega one are good choices. It's cheaper overall and healthier for the fish to do so.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Why is it better for them? Should I feed them this new food every day? And how will it affect my fish after a year+ of eating bloodworms and brine shrimp every day?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
come get me tang police!

It's better because they are formulated for proper nutrition. It's kinda like a person eating the same mcdouble every day for a year, it's not going to kill them outright but it's probably not the best thing for them, and there's no telling if they are getting adequate amounts of the different vitamins and minerals they need.

The only way switching will affect the fish who have been fed bloodworms/brine shrimp for a year is they may be picky at first, some take a while to adapt back to pellets/flakes if they haven't been eating them regularly. The other thing is that several people report better coloration after a few weeks of moving fish onto a good quality pellet like NLS.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
It's better because they are formulated for proper nutrition. It's kinda like a person eating the same mcdouble every day for a year, it's not going to kill them outright but it's probably not the best thing for them, and there's no telling if they are getting adequate amounts of the different vitamins and minerals they need.

The only way switching will affect the fish who have been fed bloodworms/brine shrimp for a year is they may be picky at first, some take a while to adapt back to pellets/flakes if they haven't been eating them regularly. The other thing is that several people report better coloration after a few weeks of moving fish onto a good quality pellet like NLS.
Yes, I noticed a huge coloration improvement in my rainbows from switching to nls. I highly recommend it!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I feed them flakes too. But ok I'll switch.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I went out and got some pellet food. All they had was the floating kind, and my fish hate it, they wouldn't eat it I know it will be better for them and they will eventually get used to it won't they? But I have three rope fish, they don't have very good eyesight and I'm concerned about not feeding bloodworms daily anymore, they ate a lot on their own. And it seemed like that's all they liked. What do I do??
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
come get me tang police!

I don't usually feed the floating kind since the fish that spend their time on the bottom may never find them. It may take time to convert fish to pellets, but in the mean time you can still feed them their normal food to make sure they are eating enough. What I do is just start incorporating the new staple food along with whatever they were previously eating, and over the course of a few days/weeks I just use more of the new staple and less of their old food till they get accustomed to it.

Some fish won't take pellets at all, I have not kept ropefish so I have no idea if they are difficult like that.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ugh x( great I wasted money on the floating kind. Lol. Well, we've become attached to the rope fish and there's no way we can give them up. I really haven't the slightest idea what to do, I guess I'll see if the rope fish will eat sinking pellets. If they do, ill buy some. In the mean time, ill feed the regular food.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

Well the food isn't a total waste, my angels and discus eat off the top of the tank, so I'm sure you can teach yours to with enough persistence. Some fish are just picky, do some google research on ropefish diet, if they only eat meaty foods and don't accept pellets then you are just stuck feeding them a special diet, it doesn't mean you have to rehome them.

I have some fish that are very picky and will only take live food or fresh dead food like frozen thawed bloodworms. A high quality flake or pellet diet is best, but not every fish will eat it.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com