Feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darb21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To Crush or Not to Crush... That is the question.

I've got 4 Corys that I have been feeding Tetra's Variety Wafers to. I've been using a Hammer to Crush the wafers so that the Corys can get em in thier mouths. This seems to be working great! My 2 Otos even go down there where the stuff settles and pick at the crushed bits. My question is do I need to be crushing these or will they (Corys and Otos) be able to eat them if I put em in there whole? Seems like they wouldn't be able to "chew" on them...

Reason I ask is that I added 2 Platinum Mollies (man these guys poop a lot) a couple of days ago and they are eating everything that they can fit into thier mouths, including the crushed bits of the wafers for the Corys.

Bonus Question - How much more stock should I be able to add? The tank is a 29G with some Driftwood and 4 low light plants.

Current Stock is:
3x Green Fire Tetras
2x Otocinclus Cats
4x Cory Cats
2x Platinum Mollies

Water is at:
Ammonia 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 5 - 10

Thanks everyone!

Well first of all. I feed shrimp pellet and veggie wafer in alterating sequences I have found that most wafers will soften and gett eaten abit at atime but this can somtimes add to the compitition over food. Also with feeding wafers and other types of sinking food that can fall between the gravel it is a good idea to check your phosphates by testing for them and keep them in check to prevent algea. I have had good luck with the product Phosgaurd.
As for your stocking you are getting pretty close to full but as long as they are getting along you could probably get away with another cory and maybe another tetra or 2 just keep an eye on your water paramiters and do frequent water changes. In my 29 gal i have 2 Sunset graumies,5 corys,3black skirt tetras,3serpea tetras, and 1clown pleco. they all have been together in there for almost 5 months now and seem to be doing fine I do about 10 gal water changes along with a gravel vac every week. Just if you add fish 1 at a time and keep a close eye on your water paramiters. good luck.

Oh I forgot to ask how long has your aquarium been setup. If it is not yet cycled you could run into some problems soon here.

in my 29 I know have

1 red tailed shark
1 clown loach
3 baby tiger barbs
2 adult tiger barbs
1 dalmation molly
1 black molly
1 betta

and they ALL live in happiness togetehr, noty a single fin nip in months, never witnessed any teritorrial issues that lasted more than a few minutes, even the betta is healthy as a horse and all my water parameters are perfect lol sorry I had to brag, i'm proud to have all these fish together and no fighting lol

I would think you could add a few more tetras.... maybe even a centerpiece fish, like a dwarf gourami....

In my 30 gallon, I have-

1 Red Tailed Shark (Small, will be moved as it grows)
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Silver Mollies
4 Spotted Cories
8 Neon Tetras
Several inverts (shrimp, clam, snails)

No nipping, perfect parameters, etc. I plan on getting another couple female gouramis once the RTS is gone.

If you have gravel.... crushing might be a little much, sand, it is fine. My wafers just disolve as they sit over them... and yes... mollies are GLUTTONS. They are fun to watch and have personalities but they will eat ANYTHING!!!!!!!

brant said:
Well first of all. I feed shrimp pellet and veggie wafer in alterating sequences I have found that most wafers will soften and gett eaten abit at atime but this can somtimes add to the compitition over food. Also with feeding wafers and other types of sinking food that can fall between the gravel it is a good idea to check your phosphates by testing for them and keep them in check to prevent algea. I have had good luck with the product Phosgaurd.
As for your stocking you are getting pretty close to full but as long as they are getting along you could probably get away with another cory and maybe another tetra or 2 just keep an eye on your water paramiters and do frequent water changes. In my 29 gal i have 2 Sunset graumies,5 corys,3black skirt tetras,3serpea tetras, and 1clown pleco. they all have been together in there for almost 5 months now and seem to be doing fine I do about 10 gal water changes along with a gravel vac every week. Just if you add fish 1 at a time and keep a close eye on your water paramiters. good luck.

Oh I forgot to ask how long has your aquarium been setup. If it is not yet cycled you could run into some problems soon here.

I've got Pool Filter Sand as the substrate, so the crushed wafers sit on top. And yes, it is cycled. Everyone is happy and healthy as can be. Does anyone have any additional thoughts on the Crush or No Crush question?

Don't crush. The wafers are designed to absorb water and the cories will be able to bite off pieces at that time.
Reason I ask is that I added 2 Platinum Mollies (man these guys poop a lot) a couple of days ago and they are eating everything that they can fit into thier mouths, including the crushed bits of the wafers for the Corys.
They do eat a lot and that is turned into waste. I gave up on Mollies when I realized they followed food to the bottom and would out compete some of my more timid fish. Many mid/top dwellers stay at the top to eat, allowing the bottom dwellers to get their share ;)
tropicfishman said:
in my 29 I know have

1 red tailed shark
1 clown loach
3 baby tiger barbs
2 adult tiger barbs
1 dalmation molly
1 black molly
1 betta

and they ALL live in happiness togetehr, noty a single fin nip in months, never witnessed any teritorrial issues that lasted more than a few minutes, even the betta is healthy as a horse and all my water parameters are perfect lol sorry I had to brag, i'm proud to have all these fish together and no fighting lol
Bettas have a bad rap. Often they are the target of fin nipping since they are slower and their fins must be oh-so-tasty. I have found the female bettas to be more aggressive in a community tank—they really have spunk. Although I'm glad to hear "they ALL live in happiness together," I would not keep the clown loach or the RTS in a 29 gallon without having a larger tank waiting for them. Sure, they will live in that sized tank for years to come, but they will not be able to reach their full potential size or life span.

Darb21 said:
Bonus Question:
Current Stock is:
3x Green Fire Tetras
2x Otocinclus Cats
4x Cory Cats
2x Platinum Mollies
If this were my tank, I would add a small pleco, such as the clown, rubberlip or bristlenose. Think about what you like best about this tank. Do you feel it's missing a "center piece" fish? Do you like the darting of the tetras? Do you like the little herd of cories combing the bottom looking for food? Once you know what you really want, you will be able to add to the schooling fish, or add that "center piece" fish.

Back
Top Bottom