Feeding schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just trying to come up with a schedule to try and vary the diet for my community tank. Can anyone tell me if this sounds ok or if I could make any improvements.

Monday - a cube of frozen brine shrimp, algae wafer.

Tuesday - tropical Flakes, catfish pellets.

Wednesday - half cube of frozen bloodworm, flakes.

Thursday - flakes, catfish pellets.

Friday - cube of frozen daphnia, algae wafer.

Saturday - half cube of bloodworm, flakes.

Sunday - starve day/no food, PWC.

This will be once I've added dwarf gourami, oto and corys to my tank.
As for the live food I would be lightly burying half of it for the corys to make sure they get some. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow, that's a crazy schedule for your fish!

It sounds good but depending on how many fish are in the tank the full cubes of frozen food might be a bit much.

Well the pellets and algae wafers wouldnt be put in until about half hour before the lights go out. At the minute I've got 6 glowlights, 6 golden whiteclouds and 2 RCS. Soon I'll be adding 4 pygmy corys, an oto/sucking loach, and a pair of gourami or just the one (debating stocking, aqadvisor puts that upto 90% ish)

I've heard a lot about that, what is it? I'll have to try it at some point at see how it goes. Thanks

Just googled it, it's a courgette to me lol

Well the pellets and algae wafers wouldnt be put in until about half hour before the lights go out. At the minute I've got 6 glowlights, 6 golden whiteclouds and 2 RCS. Soon I'll be adding 4 pygmy corys, an oto/sucking loach, and a pair of gourami or just the one (debating stocking, aqadvisor puts that upto 90% ish)

Oto cats really need to be in a group.. they are schooling fish. Also, if you can find a female dwarf gourami a pair would work but 2 males together will end badly.

The blanched veggies are a good option for your tank.

Yes I've read if u have the one oto alone it's ok if not u have to jump to 4/5?

I was thinking more like a sexed pair, don't worry I wouldn't put 2 males together unless I had a much bigger tank

Yes I've read if u have the one oto alone it's ok if not u have to jump to 4/5?

I was thinking more like a sexed pair, don't worry I wouldn't put 2 males together unless I had a much bigger tank

Generally, the only people that keep a single oto cat are people like me that have given up trying to buy them and only had 1 survive out of the enormous numbers we bought. They really do much better in schools.

Dwarf gourami females are a pita to find since they look soo boring. I've never actually seen one in person and I spend a lot of time window shopping at fish stores. The supply and demand for them is really quite low.

Decided against the oto now, going to get a few more RCS and a nerite snail or 2. As for the DG's my local shop breed them and has quite a few females there, so will see next time I pop down :)

As long as you don't overfeed, the rotation menu you listed is excellent. You will have some happy fishes. Don't be surprised if some get so conditioned they spawn. OS.

Thanks OS, well with: 6 glowlights, 6 golden whitecloud, 6 RCS, A male and female gourami, 4 pygmy corys (1/2 more if stocking allows and a couple of nerite snails. Would the full cubes of frozen food be too much or should I half it? I know I can test and adjust but haven't got all the fish yet.

IMO one cube or the equivalent would be enough. I watch mine and if they seem to need more I'll add a little bit of flaked. It seems the bloodworms go a lot faster than the brine and baby brine shrimp for me. You should watch them a few times and judge if it is being eaten fast enough. Don't let too much get sucked into the filter. Turns it into a nitrate factory. OS.

I have tiger barbs and I feed one cube twice a week. Those guys love it and the cube is entirely consumed in about 30 seconds. I'd try a half and see how quick it gets eaten them go from there.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea I noticed that the first time I fed brine and decided to put a net over the intake of the filter to prevent/collect it.

What's your stocking OS?

I think that's what I'm going to do energiserbunny, least that way i wont be over feeding and having to scoop out waste

The first time I fed it they weren't too sure about it, now they attack the cube immediately even though it's frozen solid.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I partially defrosted it 1st time and they loved it but they didn't realize they're was still a big lump just sat there in front of them on the sand lol.
Same predicament with a piece of courgette yesterday, they looked at it and had a pinch n u could just see them thinking "hmmm it smells like food, tastes like food, but Ive never seen it before so I'm not goin to trust it" 1 of the tetras 'guarded' it for 10 minutes haha

Back
Top Bottom