Feeding tetras and cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I originally purchased 2 cichlids last week, and bought NLS cichlid formula for them to eat. Since they were so shy, I introduced some black skirts to help them stop hiding so often, and it helped tremendously.

Now I'm a bit confused as to what to feed.

-Should I just keep feeding cichlid NLS and the tetras will eat it? Is that nutritious for them?
-Should I switch to all-purpose/small NLS to feed both the cichlids and tetras?

NLS small fish formula and cichlid pellets are basically the same if you look at the ingredients so I would assume if the tetras are big enough to eat it, it would provide the same nutritional value.

Out of curiosity, what cichlids do you have?
As far as the cichlids eating tetra food or vice versa, I've come to the realization that most fish aren't picky eaters and will eat just about anything you give them. I would probably go the all purpose route, a lot of fish foods will say "for all tropical fish", so that's the easiest and safest route. I don't think they're too picky.

I have a firemouth and a convict.

Good to know, I hadn't even looked at the ingredients on the small formula. I belive cichlid are .5 or 1 mm and the tetras aren't that small now.

I don't know what size tank you have but eventually you are going to have to remove the tetras as the cichlids will become too aggressive. I have the small formula and they are tiny tiny so they would actually be too small IMO to feed the fish you have.

Yeah, your tetras will be eaten for sure soon. To anwser your question, my black skirts will wolf down whole shrimp pellets with no problem.

Well, I picked black skirts over serpae tetras and tiger barbs because I was told they would fare best with cichlids long term.

Thank you for the information, I will keep using cichlid formula unless I notice the tetras not eating it. What brand of shrimp pellets are best? Does NLS have some of those?

Back
Top Bottom